Excel 2003: put long entry on two lines

johnincrete 08:14 15 May 2010

I have a a spreadsheet that has two text cells that are excessively longer than the rest in the column. How do I put the entries on more than one line so I can reduce the width of the column?
For example:
aaaaa bbbbbbbb cccc ddddd eeee fffff gggg hhhh
to:
aaaaa bbbbbbbb cccc
ddddd eeee fffff
gggg hhhh
- with all the text in one cell

I tried copy & paste into a Word 2003 table but the long column dissapears off the right hand edge of the page. I can put the text onto several lines within the cell but then I can't reduce the width of the column (shown as over 36cm) - when I try, Word just changes the width of the PREVIOUS column

VoG II 08:29 15 May 2010

Type the first line, hold down ALT and press Enter. Then type the second line and press Enter.

Zak 19:38 18 May 2010

Hi VoG™

I have a problem with BTs new on-line calls list. CSV file when opened with Excel now shows in an odd format. It used to be in 00:59:25 (hh:mm:ss)and appear in formula bar as 00:59:25, 00:50:22 etc.

Now there are two variations and Excel treats the minutes and seconds as hours, minutes and seconds.

Formula bar shows: 01/01/1900 11:45:00 and cell shows 11:45:00 This should be 11 minutes 45 seconds

Other instances formula bar shows: 20:03:00 (should be 20 minutes and three seconds) and cell shows same, no logic as to size of numbers.

Is there any way to automate the conversion to the normal hh:mm:ss?

Previous bills always had the leading zeros for the hour when under an hour and did not have additional zeros at he end.

I use the calls to check per minute rate for calls abroad via access numbers.

Zak 19:40 18 May 2010

Posted here in error - I have sarted new thread.

lotvic 22:12 18 May 2010

rightclick on cell > Format > Alignment tab, and in Text control put a tick in 'Wrap text' then click on 'OK'

*Don't forget, you will have to do the row height adjustment after you have altered the column width.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017