Ewido (again)

micklemouse 16:43 03 Mar 2006

I have installed the full Trial version of Ewido as I was quite impressed with reviews I've seen and still am. But one thing I have noticed is that my computer has slowed right down, and what prompted me to write here is that I noticed that a lot of activity was going on according to the light on the processor. I checked the Task Manager > Applications and noticed that something called helpsvc.exe was frantically changing all the time from anywhere between 14,000K and 21,000K. And the CPU usage was most of the time all the way up to 100%. I turned off the 'Guard' in Ewido settings and the CPU slowed right down to approx 18% and the 'helpsvc.exe' application had disappeared from the list of Applications. If this Guard is what is causing this, surely it leaves my computer in a vulnerable state if I have to turn the Guard off?

VoG II 16:46 03 Mar 2006

When advising people to run Ewido I always state "When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'."

This is to prevent Ewido from conflicting with anti-virus programs and producing the symptoms that you describe.

micklemouse 16:58 03 Mar 2006

Thanks very much Vog, and I will do as you say. Things have now quietened down considerably on here. I made the mistake of saying it was in Applications when I should have said Processes for which I apologise. However your solution is what matters. Thanks so much !

Regards Micklemouse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?