Ewido

micklemouse 10:32 24 Feb 2006

... and while I'm on here, what's the general concensus on the Ewido malware program? Is the free version comparable with, say, Webroot's SpySweeper?

sunny staines 16:44 24 Feb 2006

I have recently installed the free version. It has regular updates and is as good as A2 & Spydefence.

rawprawn 16:49 24 Feb 2006

Excellent program. Follow instructions courtesy of Vog
Download Ewido

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

ade.h 17:42 24 Feb 2006

I've been using it since Rawprawn recommended it to me; seems fine. It found a couple of spyware apps that MS Beta had missed in a scan moments earlier, which goes to show that having more than one is advatageous.

MIKE. 18:15 24 Feb 2006

Hi Guys Regarding the free version Ewido is it really free or is the one I downloaded the wrong version which says 14 days to use.

rawprawn 18:17 24 Feb 2006

Read the post by me above and follow the instructions, then you will have the free version.

Halmer 18:18 24 Feb 2006

i think that you lose the automatic updates and real time protection after 14 days but you can update it manually and scan with it still.

MIKE. 20:10 24 Feb 2006

Many thanks rawprawn & Halmer for your advice. I have the usual programmes A2,Avast & AVG among various tools which I keep up to date. After running Ewido I was amazed at how many Malawares it found that the other programmes missed.

micklemouse 08:55 25 Feb 2006

I'm back now to my postings,, thanks all for your advice; I have installed Ewido and followed
Rawprawn's directions. Ran it and it came up with one tracking cookie. But that hasn't deterred me; knowing that my system is protected by this much-favoured newcomer is a real bonus.

Thanks once again, Micklemouse

dogbreath1 09:05 25 Feb 2006

If you are currently running both Avast and AVG as real-time protection, I'd suggest that you disable one of them and use that as an ad hoc scanner.

One real-time AV is more than enough, two can conflict and slow down your system.

flimbo 09:42 25 Feb 2006

I tried Ewido and it deleted my soundcard drivers! I'll be leaving this one alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?