ew Laptop/router how do I get started (wireless)?

AllZwell 16:03 07 Oct 2006

Hello :)

I just purchased a laptop from PC world (Toshiba A100 (£799), and it says "Wireless Enabled" in the spec.

I brought a Router (Belkin 802.11g+) and I hadn't a clue about wireless pc's to *start* with.

What I want to do simply, is have a wireless laptop round the house while using my desktop as "fixed". What connections do I do need to go wireless then??? Do I need something extra? - as I tried all the set up functions on the screen (modem into router, and to the laptop, then a "blue cable that goes in the back, then turn the router on etc etc).
It then detects

Even if this worked (which it doesn't) how will I be able to go wireless??? (There is some sort of connection - "wireless enabled" at 54 mps, but when I try to connect to the internet it (click on Explorer) it won't connect, simple as that.

Please help!! :)((

EDIT: do I need any more attachments for my laptop (NetWare adapters or something???) I was assuming that the "wireless enabled" would do the job, along with my router but really am stuck/

TIA

AW (newbie - sorry for long post)

ade.h 16:53 07 Oct 2006

click here - Apologies that the Belkin guide is not yet on the site; it will be in a few days, time permitting. If I answered all your questions in full here, I would go far beyond the character limit!

AllZwell 17:04 07 Oct 2006

Cheers Ade.h

I'm a little impatient I guess,!lol and trying to do it all in one day - and ending up with that "trial and error" syndrome. I will read all the instrucions that came with the belkin, but still not sure what Wireless enabled and Belkin router may have in commo, since I can get s wireless connection (even as I write, my laptop is here, and says "wireless network connection status: Connected
Network: Belkin54G
Duration 5 mins 20 secs
speed: 54Mbps
Signal strength (two green bars)

hold on somethings happened........

ade.h 17:13 07 Oct 2006

To be clear: you will not get a functioning wireless connection until you have completed the configuration of the router, because there currently is none. I hope you are not connecting to another network....

(192.168.2.1 into a browser while a client is connected via Ethernet. Boot the router well before the client to allow the DHCP server to initialise).

AllZwell 17:14 07 Oct 2006

Not sure what happened here but the laptop is **now connected** to the internet (I clicked on explorer)MSN home page. To make sure I wasn't seeing things, I opened Messenger - and that worked too - it did cut off for a minute though - and when I did open messenger (MSN) - it opened on this computer too!??(confused) NO ROUTER is connected at all btw, so I will have a look.

The switch (wireless enabled) on my laptop is on of course, but it did'nt work last night, and I'm a little worried at the moment (mainly security???) Could my being close to this pc (3 feet ) have anything to do with it?

>>>>welcome to wireless networking!

TIA

Will go to your guide when up!

ade.h 17:16 07 Oct 2006

Make sure that you read click here and click here as soon as you can.

AllZwell 17:33 07 Oct 2006

Thanks ade, I have turned the laptop off now, and will read that link (wouldn't work with click BTW had to right click copy url then open)and sit down and read a little. Just wondering why it works "all of a sudden" (it was AM in the ealy hours of the morning mind when it didn't work, if that means anything.

TIA

Will read that FAQ/Security Article

AllZwell 18:07 11 Oct 2006

Well, I got as far as setting the modem up (unconventional way) - in which my phone connecter had two RJ11's so one went to modem, one to router (Belkin54G) , and I was set up on broadband while going through the process - and the wizard (belkin) took me through etc. (my modems a Speedtouch 330 usb)

I restarted my pc after all this, and my wireless switch was turned on. "a connection is enabled here" etc, and I selected my name from the "choose a wireless network". Well my name is there, I click to connect, sometimes it "connects" other times I get "Acquiring network address", and if that connects, it will sometimes say: £limited or no connection£ (or something like that).

It WAS connected then (with the *star* on it to say I was connected), but when I click on IE (or any other internet connection) it will not work/connect

The one that connects easiest is the BELKIN54G - and that's the name it displays - and always has a strong signal (as opposed to my user names weak signal.

My Router has only the psu connected to it, and there are two solid lights - with the right one flashing. is this the norm?.

Do I need the Router connected to something else? - as it is just sittng near the laptop connected to nothing (with no lan/modem wired in etc) - maybe my router should be connected to my desktop????

Sorry, can't work it out:(

TIA

AW

Strawballs 22:49 11 Oct 2006

That is worrying if you have one to modem and one to router I am assuming that you get your broadband via phone line in which case you need a combined modem/router and you should not be using you original modem. What is the model is your router?

AllZwell 23:25 11 Oct 2006

Hi,

This is the one:

click here
Not sure whether modems in-built or not - but if not, then surely there's a way to get it working??

AllZwell 23:35 11 Oct 2006

No, there's no in-built modem.

My existing modem I have is a Speedtouch 330 - with USB to pc connection and RJ11 to phone socket. When I am setting up the BELKIN I am asked to connect the modem to the router. However, if I do this, were does the USB lead come in that's only available then?, Quite frustrating this has beem:((

TIA

AW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?