EVO N410C boot problem

roncon 19:50 19 Feb 2008

Can anyone advise me how to boot or (worse case)reformat my laptop hard drive? It lost power on batteries and now hangs after the windows page. I've no on-board or external floppy or CD drive so I can't fix windows using the XP disc as you might with a desk top PC, the BIOS doesn't have these as boot options anyway. There is an option to boot from 'notebook ethernet' and an 'internal network adapter boot' device option - but I don't understand how this would/should work. It's very frustrating.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:56 19 Feb 2008

now hangs after the windows page

which page XP with blue bars or welcome screen?

Have you tried tapping F8 during boot to get into menu for Safe mode or Last good configuration?

roncon 18:44 20 Feb 2008

The windows page is the black background with the windows XP trademark, logo and pulsing status bar. From there it momentarily goes to a blue 'screen of death' before displaying the safe, last known config, etc options - none of which work. The system counts down 30 seconds and then attempts starting from the option selected - with the result I end up back at the windows page then the whole process repeats.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 20 Feb 2008

I've no on-board or external floppy or CD drive

was it not shipped with these drives? click here

The normal way to sort would be with a repair install from the XP CD.

What boot options do yu have can it boot from a USB pen drive?

roncon 14:34 22 Feb 2008

Hi fruit bat, boot options are notebook multi bay #1, notebook multi bay #2, notebook hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 22 Feb 2008

MultiBay Devices
(with optional MEU)
MultiBay devices may be swapped with the system powered on (hot) under Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000 (except MultiBay Zip drive or MultiBay secondary hard drive).
MultiBay devices can be swapped with system power off under any supported operating system.

This is where you CD drive / floppy should be

did you not get one?

roncon 22:37 27 Feb 2008

Thanks FB & everyone who responded. Solved the problem by picking up a second hand mobile epansion unit (MEU) so now have floppy & CD drive. Managed to 'reclaim' my system tonight by fixing windows frommy XP CD! Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:27 27 Feb 2008

Glad your sorted, I think that without any other means (x HDD) to bot from you would never have been able to fix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?