Evesham and XP

Southernboy 14:24 04 Mar 2005

For the last few years I have been using a Mesh PC with W98SE. I use my Mitsubishi 17" Diamondtron at 800x600, which gives a font size that I find comfortable, not only for Windows, but for MS Money and Lotus SmartSuite.

I received a new Evesham Axis Expression PC yesterday, with XP. I continue to use my existing monitor which I am very happy with. I immediately set the display to 800x600 with the new PC, but the fonts are so much SMALLER! I am aware that it is possible to alter the font size on Windows, but this is not possible with either Money or Lotus, and I now find the text difficult to read.

In any event, if I were able to increase the font size. it would upset the layout of all my print-outs and reports as the font size on the hard copies would be too big!

My friend in Scotland cannot understand this as he tells me that he regularly swaps work between W98SE and XP computers and he cannot detect such a noticable difference.

Is this something peculiar to Evesham PCs? Have any Evesham owners noticed this?

RealDopey 14:43 04 Mar 2005

If this a brand pc from Evesham,why not ask their tech department, I've always found them to be very helpful. You may just need something simple like an updated driver for your screen or vga card.

Southernboy 14:57 04 Mar 2005

that my son bought an Evesham PC in 2003 and found exactly the same effect with his Iiyama monitor at 800x600.

The common denominator is Evesham, unless anyone knows better.

I will, in due course, contact Evesham, but wanted to do some reasearch first so that I was able to speak with some confidence.

Southernboy 20:40 05 Mar 2005

very helpful people!

They told me that it is XP which has a distinctly smaller display. They described it as "tight".

I have customised my desktop to large icons and fonts, and the Classic Windows view, but that does not help some of the Applications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?