Evesham serivce.

Southernboy 14:17 04 May 2005

My new PC was making some strange noises and Evesham sent an engineer to look at it yesterday. He couldn't see any problem but noticed that two fans were showing 0 RPM on the Bios. He checked with another fan from his stock, but the reading was still 0 RPM. He told me that the sensors were not picking up the readings but the fans appeared to be working OK. Is it OK to leave it like this?

He also told me the temperature at which the fans start to increase speed was set too low, and increased it to 64 degrees. I would have thought this was something checked at the factory. Does this sound right?

spuds 14:49 04 May 2005

When did you purchase the computer!.

I would have thought that the computer would have been 'quality controlled' bench tested after assembly, and the fan problem should have been picked up then. I would take this point up with evesham, as a matter of urgent interest and perhaps future warranty claims.When components do not work fully or show signs of intermittent malfunction, then I would be concerned, especially on a new machine, is this a mobo problem in the making!.

If you intend to contact evesham, then use [email protected] for a possible faster response. Save the emails for future reference.

Pooke100 15:45 04 May 2005

it doesn't sound right!!

Get onto them, tell them you want something done. Personally I would not accept that, all he gave you is an EXCUSE and he hasn't fixed anything!

Listen to what spuds has said, that little issue may turn into a big problem when it's too late.

hth

Southernboy 21:19 05 May 2005

emailed Evesham. No reply as yet.

I bought he PC two months ago and I feel uneasy about what has happened.

Southernboy 21:49 05 May 2005

I have an external 750 Zip Drive. I used this without problem with W98SE and for two months with the new PC. Last Saturday, I clicked the "backup now" button as usual, but nothing happened. After a while I got a message I have never seen before telling me the backup had failed and the data was lost. I tried to open the Iomega backup program to close it down, but nothing happened. CTRL-ALT-DELETE told me the program was not responding, but selecting END did nothing. I simply got a repeat of the NOT RESPONDING message in what seemed like an endless loop. I was unable to close the PC down and, in the end, I could only switch the PC off.

When I switched on again, I expected it to run CHKDSK, but it didn't. I tried to get into the Iomega backup program again, but it refused to open.

The third attempt allowed me to open the program to switch it off. I then ran CHKDISK on both the C drive and the Zip disc. Not problems. I thought I would try backup again but the backup button was greyed-out. I deleted the backup set and created a new one. I was then able to carry out a backup.

However, the next day, I attempted to backup a file in MS Money, using the Money backup option which I had done many times before. What I got was a re-run of the problem with the Iomega backup program. It seems the common factor here is the zip drive. I gave up and simply used the SEND TO option to copy to a Zip disc.

Today, I attempted to carry out a backup using the Iomega Automatic Backup program and the new backup set, but what I got was simply a re-run of the problem and, again, the program hung and I had to switch the PC off. It would seem that my Zip Drive cannot be used except in Cut and Paste mode, which is not a lot of use for large amounts of data.

What I cannot understand is why it should have worked on my previous PC without problem, and why it worked on this PC with problem for some two months. It cannot be the hardware as I appear to be able to use SEND TO/CUT AND PASTE tomove files a Zip disc, but not to backup eith using Iomega's own backup program or the backup option that comes with Money.

I have done nothing to the PC to alter anything and I am at a loss to understand what is causing the problem. I cannot begin to know what to do about this problem.

Southernboy 13:33 09 May 2005

"If the board is disturbed in transit then the BIOS will tend to reset itself to its safe levels. This is why the temperature setting was lower than expected. The fan connection speed depends on whether the fan is connected to the point that is being monitored. If it is connected to an alternative supply then it will register 0 rpm in the BIOS but still function correctly."

Any comments, please? It seems logical, but I am puzzled why they should supply a PC where the fan speed cannot be monitored.

Does any know the correct operating temperature for a fan?

Pooke100 13:46 09 May 2005

I'm no techie and don't have a great deal of understanding on the subject. But the fact that there is alot of "ifs" in that answer would make me doubt it. Hopefully someone will know and explain it.

Regards

P

bob1234 20:11 09 May 2005

Why on earth should the "Board be disturbed in transit"? I have been building.selling PCs for 13 years now and that is a new one on me, I have never known it to happen. If the PC has been treated so roughly that the Bios battery has come loose then it is clearly not of a good build quality and certainly not in a saleable condition after a shock of that magnitude. Send it backl and insist that Evesham start talking sense.
There answer also does nort address as to why the "Engineer" did not know that some connectors (which is normal) were not monitored and why the fans were connected to these unmonitored connections (not normal).

bob1234 20:11 09 May 2005

Why on earth should the "Board be disturbed in transit"? I have been building.selling PCs for 13 years now and that is a new one on me, I have never known it to happen. If the PC has been treated so roughly that the Bios battery has come loose then it is clearly not of a good build quality and certainly not in a saleable condition after a shock of that magnitude. Send it backl and insist that Evesham start talking sense.
There answer also does nort address as to why the "Engineer" did not know that some connectors (which is normal) were not monitored and why the fans were connected to these unmonitored connections (not normal).

Southernboy 14:42 11 May 2005

It is not that simple. I have to try to correspond in a reasonable manner in the hope that someone will come forward with a clear explanation. They may well be right in what they say, but I find the explanation vague and that worries me. Coupled with the other problems I am experiencing with the FDD and ther Zip drives, I am very uneasy.

So far, I have had no reply from Evesham, so I have Emailed them again.

Southernboy 13:45 18 May 2005

Anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?