Evesham problems

realist 10:49 22 May 2007

My March 06 Evesham system now has a glitch in the display dept whereby the screen goes to black every so often, mostly it seems after the pc's been on for a while.
Evesham support suggested the ATI drivers be up-dated but that only made it worse requiring re-boots and system restore. I got back to them this morning and they were telling me they'd have to re-install Windows to get to the bottom of it...
They told me this on another occasion when I had a long-standing audio problem and I resisted it and eventually thankfully solved it via this forum.
If Windows is re-installed do I lose all my documents, files etc on the pc?

Probabilitydrive 10:58 22 May 2007

Yes, you will lose all your settings, documents etc... So, do a thorough back-up before you do anything to do with a clean reinstall of Windows.

The black screen could be caused by a multitude of issues. from overheating to cable malfunctioning to graphic card problems . Wait until the wise guys from this forum point you in a direction before you do the clean reinstall.

realist 11:04 22 May 2007

I plead guilty to never having done a back-up.
So what's the idiot-proof, easiest way to achieve a "thorough back-up"?
They wanted to "talk me through" a re-install there and then, just as well I said "No thanks"!

Probabilitydrive 11:16 22 May 2007

I recommend have a read through these links first (they will give you a good idea about the what and where).
click here
click here

The easiest and most secure solution for any back up is an external Hard drive.

realist 11:18 22 May 2007

Probabilitydrive
Many thanks

Danoh 13:00 22 May 2007

Make a note of how much space all your data you wish to back takes. Even though its been over 1 yr, you may find its not that much and all could fit into a 2Gb USB flash drive. As was the case with a close friend of mine.

Evesham would automatically warn you about data loss and needing to back up your data before a fresh reinstallation.
March '06 would mean you will probably have a machine with PC Angel installed. This enables you to do a very simple restore of a "factory" image saved in a "hidden" partition on your hard drive.
On booting up your PC, keep pressing the F11 key will initiate PC Angel.
But let Evesham talk you through that after you've backed up your data.

The plus side of doing this with Evesham is that it is interactive. It also enables them to record the steps taken, which would authorise the triggering of the next steps - site visit by engineer if you have that warranty - replacement of faulty parts, etc.
I've found them to be pretty ok - even though there's always the risk of an inexperienced support person answering your call.

Legolas 18:17 22 May 2007

You wouldn't lose any of your files, programmes or settings if you do an XP repair installation rather than a clean installation. click here click on "Skip to Repair Install" and follow the directions. This is worth trying before you do a full install.

realist 20:24 24 May 2007

Viewsonic have now swapped the monitor and the problem seems to have gone.

However,the replacement has a defect (won't go to standby) so is itself being swapped!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?