everybody hates norton

pac73 06:55 10 Feb 2006

Im using norton internet security 2006.Ive only been using it since dec23rd.I think its alright.But im new to computers,so i would,nt be able to compare with other av,s.But ive seen on this forum and many others ive read,people saying they hate norton.I was wondering why?And should i uninstall it for avg7 or avast.Any opinions appreciated.

Taff™ 07:06 10 Feb 2006

Norton does a good job but a lot of us on the forum find it intrusive and using too many resources on the computer. AVG or Avast are perfectly adequate for us and a home user would certainly not go far wrong with either. The advanced spam features in NIS 2006 and the e-mail handling are very good and as an integrated package Norton is OK. By using Avast or AVG you do need a seperate firewall and other programs - it`s your choice.

skidzy 07:11 10 Feb 2006

Trouble with Norton is like Taff says...its a very hungry program,possibly slowing your system down...it did mine.I took it off mine and now use:

Spybot
Adaware
Microsoft antispy
Ewido
Winaso

All these above Antispyware programs

With Avg Antivirus

And Zonealarm firewall

I know this sounds a lot,but they are needed and my system runs a lot smoother as opposed to having Norton.

Hope this helps.

wee eddie 07:54 10 Feb 2006

Sometimes I think that it slows things a bit more than I'd like, but it does do the business.

interzone55 08:17 10 Feb 2006

I can't stand Norton myself, I've found it can destabalise systems on occasion, and it's an absolute nightmare to fully remove when I have to take it off friends PCs.

My, and others, main problem with Norton though is that there is no point in paying aroud £45, then annual subs, for services that can be had for free by using a combination of Avast, Zone Alarm, AdAware etc.

Having said that, there is no point in removing it once it's been paid for, as it does a very good job. Wait until you have to renew your subscription then decide whether your want to pay £20 or so to renew it, or would you rather uninstall the single application and replace it with 3 or 4 separate apps, it's your choice.

One thing I've just thought of...

People above have commented that Norton consumes resources, and I can't argue with that, but does it consume more resources than the combined progs it replaces? I don't know as I've never done a comparison, would be interesting to see some figures though.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:04 10 Feb 2006

I've been using Norton Anti-virus and Utilities, and latterly Norton Internet Security and Systemworks, for seven years. I'm now using 2005 versions and find it works very well for me. One of the keys to making it work for you is careful setting of program options. Do it right and it will not slow your pc significantly, just add a few seconds to the boot time. I have no plans to stop using Norton software.

Totally-braindead 10:58 10 Feb 2006

I used Norton for years, it is known to be a bit of a hog regarding resources but personally when I had it I never found it to be a problem. If it works fine with you, and you've obviously paid for it, then carry on.
The reason I no longer use it and now use one of the free ones, AVG in my case, is that a while back a virus got into my system, Norton would recognise it but couldn't delete it. I contacted Symantec and asked for help which they refused to give and the reason they gave was this. I was using Norton Systemworks 2003 which they no longer supported as there were 2 newer versions out on the market at the time. I was paying the subscription and had been for nearly 2 years and pointed this out to them. They said that the subscription was merely to allow me to download the updates to the virus definitions and did not entitle me to any support as my version was no longer supported. I should also say that if I knew this was the case I would have stopped using Norton and gone to one of the free ones.
Now I wouldn't be concerned in your case as you have a newer version of Norton than I had so they will probably assist you if anything goes wrong. But what I would suggest is, when your subscription runs out have a look about at the free ones.

Incidently when I deleted Norton antivirus and installed AVG it found the virus that Norton couldn't delete and deleted it no problem at all.

Belatucadrus 11:06 10 Feb 2006

Apart from the resource requirements, what I dislike about Norton is the practice of selling signature update packages to unsupported older versions of the software. I know that the users should have updated, but this leaves some people believing they're protected by an obsolete bit of kit with security holes you could drive a bus through.

citadel 14:23 10 Feb 2006

On a modern system with 3g plus processor and 1g of ram norton has no effect on resorces.

The one and only Mr A 14:37 10 Feb 2006

"One of the keys to making it work for you is careful setting of program options. Do it right and it will not slow your pc significantly, just add a few seconds to the boot time."

Could you elaborate in that? My PC takes ages to startup and shutdown these days and I'm convinced that Norton Internet Security (2005 anti-spyware edition) is to blame. It'll definately get the road once my subscription is up. I've also had to reinstall the bugger 3 times already due to various problems and it's currently refusing to update a security software component so that could be on the cards again. If I can even be bothered to reinstall it that is. I have to say I've never had a virus problem though.

sunny staines 14:41 10 Feb 2006

I have used norton since 95. antispam & clearsweep I think are very poor but very pleased with the NAV protection. The firewall alough good when working is tempremental with updates which test my patience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017