Event Viewer - Multiple errors (Hard drive)

PaulB2005 11:56 14 Dec 2005

This has been bugging me for 3 days now.

I have two Seagate ST380817AS SATA drives.
The first drive is my main C Drive with my OS and programs and data. The second drive is divided into 3 partitions. D which is a 5 Gb Partition for my Page File, E which is a 20 Gb Backup partition and F which is a 40 Gb partition which i use to store Disk Images of the C Drive made by Acronis True Image.

Event viewer shows lots of "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation."

Finally i also found.... "An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom1 during a paging operation." What is that supposed to mean?

Seatools states there are File System errors on all the drives / partitions but CHKDSK and HDTune shows no problems.

Is this Event Viewer behaviour usual?

recap 14:41 14 Dec 2005

Could you post the exact Event ID number please?

PaulB2005 07:57 15 Dec 2005

I've found the page on EventID 51 click here - but will have to read it later...

CLONNEN 11:06 15 Dec 2005

I suggest you move the paging file back to your main drive - putting it on the second hard drive is probably what's causing the errors.

Try moving it to the C drive and see if the errors still occur. If they don't - you've cracked it.

PaulB2005 11:10 15 Dec 2005

Why would having the Page File on the D Drive cause errors? I'll try moving it later to see what happens but i though having the Page File on a separate hard drive was a recognised and normal setup option.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:11 15 Dec 2005

In addition to CLONNEN, there is no need for modern computers to have partitions. Use an external drive for backups and refrain from moving paging files.

G

SANTOS7 11:11 15 Dec 2005

How strange this PCing is i have my page file on another drive D:/ (as does PaulB2005) and have never had any error message..

PaulB2005 11:20 15 Dec 2005

I have a second hard drive partitioned into 3 sections because i have been the victim of hard drive failure in the past and backup my data to the second drive. I also now have an external USB drive which the backup data is then backed up to!! (Paranoid? Me? Who says i am?)

I decided to use two partitions (one for Data and one for True Image image files just for convienience. Can't see the harm in using partitioned drives.

I've also always had my Page File on it's own partition for several years.

However i have noticed something. The timing of the errors only seems to be when the PC is first starting up.

I'll try moving the PF later.
---
As an aside with a Gb of RAM is a Page File really necessary anymore?

PaulB2005 13:19 15 Dec 2005

Moved the PF back to the C Drive (System Managed). Rebooted and the same errors occur during boot up....

CLONNEN 13:27 15 Dec 2005

It is possible to turn off the paging file completely. Can't remember how though.

I think it was a registry edit thing.

PaulB2005 18:19 15 Dec 2005

Right click, My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Under Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory, Change...

I know HOW to do it, just wondered if it was worth it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?