Event ID7 New laptop Problem

DavidArrigan 12:51 05 Jun 2014

Ugghhhh. bought an Asus zenbook UX302LA in the states recently and am having awful problems with it constantly locking up... cant even watch a movie!

I have contacted Asus with little help from them as warranty is in country of purchase and while I work that side i'm seeing what I can do myself to resolve

I have gone into the event viewer and I see an event ID7 at same time as each lock up (bad hard drive block)

What I have done so far -chkdsk r -Norton utilities surface scan (trial version) -Windows restore (back to Win 8 and did the 8.1 upgrade then (took ages!)

Error still occurs and is so fustrating!

Any suggestions of any other programs I could use to possibly repair / isolate the bad block?

I'm not that computer savvy but I can do my fair share so any suggestions much appreciated

DavidArrigan 13:45 05 Jun 2014

Jock1e - I havent tried SFC /scannow, is that the same as chkdsk? I also havent looked in device manager but will do when i get home

I have done the C drive error check and it comes back with no errors however the event ID suggests otherwise...

rdave13 18:34 05 Jun 2014

Sounds like a bad drive or one beginning to go for me. Download SpeedFan 4.49 from here , blue text under the download heading. Run SpeedFan and let it load. Close the hint pane. Click on the S.M.A.R.T. tab and select the drive via the down arrow near the field. Have a look at the results then click on the " Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disk". IE will open a page and will give you some good info about the drive. I would consider cloning the drive 'as soon as' anyway, simply as a precaution and a backup.

DavidArrigan 11:35 10 Jun 2014

Thanks RDave13

I downloaded and run that test & got the "you have 24 pending sectors" message but no suggestions on how to clear Any suggestion as to how to make them "un-pending"?

Secret-Squirrel 09:15 11 Jun 2014

..........run that test & got the "you have 24 pending sectors"......"

That's an awful of bad sectors for a hard drive in a new computer David :(

One or two may be acceptable, but with 24 currently pending, my opinion is that it has too many defects to be trusted.

If you'd like a second opinion then you said that you did a chkdsk /r but did you check the report in Event Viewer after the PC had rebooted? If you didn't then go back into Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, right-click on Application, choose Find, type wininit then the Find Next button. It should find a report which starts with A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk.. Scroll down to near the bottom and look for the line that says n KB in bad sectors where n is a number. How many does your report show?

"Any suggestion as to how to make them "un-pending"?"

As far as I know there's nothing you can do about it - it's something that Windows and your hard drive's firmware is supposed to sort out.

Make sure you follow rdave's advice and backup your data just in case there's a catastrophic hard drive failure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?