Evaluation Software

Reacher 08:41 21 Feb 2003

Hi Folks,

I sent away for some evaluation software from Microsoft. In the pack I recieved back there is a 120 day trial of Windows XP Professional. I'm currently running Windows 2000 and would like to try XP. What I would like to know is what happens after the 120 days are up? Does the software uninstall automatically and leave 2000 the way it was or should I bother? Anyone had any experience of this?

Gongoozler 10:10 21 Feb 2003

Hi Reacher. I don't know the answer to your question, so to push you back to the top of the page, I'll just give my opinion instead. If you are happy with Win 2000, I think you should leave things as they are. If you are seriously thinking about upgrading to XP, then back up everything before installing the evaluation software. I certainly wouldn't risk a stable set up by trusting any software to uninstall properly. I think that after the 120 day trial you will have to use the Microsoft uninstall utility to remove XP yourself.

-pops- 11:01 21 Feb 2003

Doesn't the software itself tell you how to proceed after the times's up?

Are you sure this software is recent? It sounds like the last beta version of XP rather than a current offer.

Brian

AndySD 11:05 21 Feb 2003

Near the end of the time period it will give you a warning....then shut down...its only for evaluation purposes as it says.

Its best to use the software on a seperate partion and try it there...at the end of the trial format the partition.

Reacher 11:12 21 Feb 2003

Thanks for the replies guys. I spoke to an I.T. consultant who occasionally visits my work and he tells me that I have the full version of XP Pro but the product key will expire after 120 days. After this I would need to contact Microsoft to purchase a new license, and presumably, a new product key to enable me to use the software as if it was bought from a shop. He did explain that there was an easy way round it but at the end of the day It would be just as easy for me to go and purchase a full copy and be done with it.

Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?