ethernet and wireless together

craigy1 15:06 22 Feb 2006

i have got a linksys@home G-Gateway which plugs into the back of desktop pc through the ethernet socket. i also have a laptop that has a wireless card built in it.

i have set it up so i can run BB on my laptop through the gateway and also my desktop can access BB because of the ethernet cable. My desktop doesnt have wireless card.

I wanted to know if i can get the two pc's to see each other on a network, this is so if my laptop is being used inanother room they can see what i am doing on my pc and vice versa and i could also swap files between the two of them.

I have tried to set up a network using the XP wizzard but it says that a network cable is disconnected from my laptop so it wont connect to my pc. i know that it is disconnected cos i want to use the gateway to talk to my pc through the wireless.

can anyone help please?

dms05 17:05 22 Feb 2006

You might get a better response by posting this thread in the Networking forum!

If I understand you correctly your set up should allow you to Network in the way you want. You'll need to make sure the Desktop and Laptop are connected to the same Network - i.e they are on the same named network. Run the Network wizard on your desktop and note the exact names you enter, then select 'make disk' option at the end and place the disk (could be a USB Stick) in the Laptop and run the file created by the Desktop. You will have needed to select File/Printer Sharing when you first ran the Wizard.

If you go 'Show all connections' and right click on the LAN card you can select 'Properties' - this tells you the protocols you have active (Client for MS Networking, File/Printer Sharing, TCP/IP).

Finally check which files you have set for 'sharing'. Never share a whole drive on a WiFi network!

Good luck!

mgmcc 17:11 22 Feb 2006

If the two are already accessing the internet via the router, then they are networked. Basically you should just have to set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" in their Properties. Also, any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked PCs.

<<< this is so if my laptop is being used inanother room they can see what i am doing on my pc and vice versa >>>

Networking for File/Printer sharing doesn't normally let you see what another computer in the network is doing, it lets you access files in a remote computer and print via a Printer connected to a remote computer.

You could install "remote control" software such as "RealVNC" to see what is actually displayed on the networked PC - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone