Ethernet and USB connections in parallel?

Snrub 01:28 11 Sep 2009

I am connecting my Homehub 1.5 via the ethernet connection direct to my computer which shows a 1394 Connection Speed 400Mbps icon in the system tray, but additionally I have a USB connection in parallel showing 100Mbps also icon showing in the system tray.
If I unplug the USB I get no network connection.

If I click on 'show all connections' it shows:- 1.Local Area Connection Via VT Rhine II Fast Ethernet Connection.
2.Local Area Connection 2 Thomson ST Remote NDIS Device.
3.1394 Connection 1394 Net Adapter #3
My computer crashes frequently on browsing and think it may be because I have two connections running? Should I be using both types of connection?

ambra4 03:17 11 Sep 2009

“Should I be using both types of connection?”

No

Disable the 1394 Connection 1394 Net Adapter

The 1394 Net Adapter is not used

“I am connecting my Homehub 1.5 via the ethernet connection direct to my computer”

Is it connected to the ethernet port on the computer?

“If I click on 'show all connections' it shows: - 1.Local Area Connection Via VT Rhine II Fast Ethernet Connection”

Which is the correct Internet Port that the Homehub cable should be connected to and the Lan

port “Enable”

DieSse 16:19 11 Sep 2009

Just in case you don't realise - 1394 is FireWire. I doubt you've got a cable connected to it. You can disable it or just ignore it.

The 100Mbps connection is the Ethernet connection - not USB.

Snrub 14:16 14 Sep 2009

Thanks I had wrongly assumed the 100Mbps was USB.

Can you please explain the 1394 Firewire which appears a faster connection 400Mbps, how would I connect this up, presumably it's a faster connection?

Woolwell 14:25 14 Sep 2009

You cannot use it for internet which is an ethernet connection. For Firewire see click here

DieSse 16:25 14 Sep 2009

As Woolwells link shows, FireWire is for other types of connections.

But in any case the 100Mbps of the ethernet connection is far, far faster than your actual broadband speed - so it wouldn't do anything for you anyway.

The 100Mbps is just the capability of the link from the PC to the router. Your broadband speed is determined by other things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?