Ethernet or Wireless connection

bruno 18:40 09 Sep 2006

I have just gone on to Sky broadband today and I am quite ignorant on wireless connections.I have got it up and running using the ethernet connection.As I am running my PC on a fairly long phone extension(24feet),I wondered if I would gain speed by putting my router next to the master phone point at the other end of the room and using my wireless adaptor to make the "jump".

ade.h 19:06 09 Sep 2006

I don't see how that would gain any speed whatsoever, even from a file sharing viewpoint (where the massive speed advantage of 10/100 or Gigabit Ethernet is obviously preferred to wi-fi). A good quality phone extension will suffer virtually no loss whatsoever, and certainly not enough to affect an average internet connection. I would happily take a long phone extension if it allows convenient Cat5 networking. A good 802.11g network will achieve c.15-30Mbits per sec, the Ethernet standards are self-explanatory, and even an ADSL Max internet service offers c.6-7Mbits at its absolute best. That's if you live next door to the exchange an happen to be the only person using it. So wi-fi versus Ethernet is not an arguement worth thinking about purely from a connection speed viewpoint. Therefore avoiding the extension will not have any gain.

bruno 19:25 09 Sep 2006

Thanks for your prompt reply.It is just what I needed to know.I will not bother wasting my time messing around with it.I only got the wireless adaptor for when my Grandson visits in the holidays with his computer.He always wants to get on the net as he can't at home.Means we can both play at once instead of taking turns.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?