Ethernet No Longer Recognised By Windows

Dioxynucleic 13:25 17 Mar 2007

I want to connect my desktop to my laptop using a crossover cable.

I've done it before, but following a Windows crash the conenction no longer works, despite my running the appropriate setup wizard on both computers.

Problem /seems/ to be that the (reinstalled) Windows XP on my desktop no longer acknowledges/recognises the presence of the Ethernet card, i.e. can't seem to find it under Device Manager.

Two questions.

1. How do I find out for sure this is the problem?

2. Is there someplace I can go to download the device/driver and get Windows to reognise the Ethernet card?

Thanks.

Dioxynucleic 13:49 17 Mar 2007

Okay, a little more information may be needed.

I'm running a Mesh Matrix 3000+ NY on an AMD Athlon T 64 3500+ Processor with 1024 Mb RAM.

Which I'm guessing restricts the devices/drivers I can download/use.

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 17 Mar 2007

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Also check Plug and play is started
Start - Run - type services.msc scroll down to plug and play right click select properties click start if required.

Indevice manager scan for new hardware and see if it finds the ethernet card.

Dioxynucleic 18:17 17 Mar 2007

Hi

Followed your suggestions, but to no avail. No device is listed under network adapter, other than my Speed Touch modem.

Scan for new hardware did not find my card.

Ran services.msc, but Start wasn't active, i.e. it was faded out.

Sfc/ scannow continually prompted me for an XP Professional CD, which I do not have. (I have a Mesh Recovery Disc, but nothing else).

Is there nothing I can download?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:28 17 Mar 2007

click here see the section about pointing sfc to th i386 folder on your c: drive.

I think your crashed windows is missing files hence the CD prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?