Ethernet network from XP to 2000

pollpott 13:05 03 Dec 2005

I have an old computer which i wish to network via an ethernet cable to my current computer running XP via a router. We have had no problems connecting our two xp computers together but there seems to be a different procedure for Windows 2000 as it wont connect to either computer or the internet. Any suggestions?

phil46 14:18 03 Dec 2005

I use a Belkin USB 10/100 adapter on my 6 year old brio running W2000 and connect to the USB socket on the MOBO not via a pci USB card.
I use a speed touch 546,you do require to put the set up disk in where you put your full email address in and your ISP password or at least thats what your required todo on mine,

mgmcc 14:29 03 Dec 2005

Windows 2000 shouldn't be significantly different to network from XP. If its network adapter is connected to one of the router's LAN ports and set to get is IP address automatically, it should connect to the internet and the other PCs. Any firewall software needs to be configured suitably.

Can the Windows 2000 PC "ping" the other PCs and vice versa?

pollpott 14:44 03 Dec 2005

How can I tell if I can ping it? The newer computer seems to be acknowledging the older one but not in a very useful way, it also looks 'locked' or something.

mgmcc 18:31 03 Dec 2005

Open a Command Prompt window and, at the prompt, type "PING" (without quote marks) followed by the remote computer's IP address.

pollpott 15:25 05 Dec 2005

Sorry but there is too much I don't understand in these replies, I think I should have tried the beginers forum, thanks for trying though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?