Ethernet Modem set up...........not going so well

lodger 21:04 11 Jun 2008

'modem not found' so, do I need to unistall my USB modem before I install my Ethernet one? Or should i leave my present internet settings just as they are and simply disconnect the usb modem and try to dial in with the ethernet one?

FatboySlim71 22:03 11 Jun 2008

It may be worth un-installing your old USB modem before trying to install your new one, just to make sure that it could not cause any possible connection problems, I have to say that I am not sure if it would cause any connection problems, just make sure that you have got any software etc that is needed for your USB modem before you go ahead and un-install it, at least this way if all else fails you would be able to re install your USB modem again.

Not sure what you mean with "and try to dial in with the ethernet one"

An Ethernet modem has an ALWAYS ON connection and therefore doesn't need to dial.

I could do with a little bit more info off you lodger, such as your ISP, make model of router.

Have you checked to see if your network card is enabled etc, this can be done by going into Device manager (In Vista just click START button and type device manager).

Look down the list and you should see something called Network Adapters (or similar) click the + symbol, this should then list the make/model of your Network Adapter, if you right click on this, this should bring up a menu, if you see enable in this menu select it, other than that select the SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES and see if this makes any difference.

I know a while back I got an Ethernet modem/router when my ISP was AOL and I can remember having a fight to get my connection set up in the SO CALLED AOL easy setup. The ISP's I have been with since AOL have been very easy to setup a connection with my Modem/router.

Ashrich 23:25 11 Jun 2008

Are you using a set up disk to connect to the internet ? As an ethernet modem doesn't need drivers and therefore would not be " found " by Windows I assume you are , in which case you can use the CD as a frisbee and do it manually instead . With the ethernet modem connected to your network port with the correct cable just open a browser and type in to the address bar 192.168.0.1 or whatever the default IP address is for the modem . This will take you to the login for the modem , the documentation that came with it should tell you what to type in there to gain access to the rest of it . From those pages you can enter your login details from your ISP , usually there is a wizard to help with the more obscure bits , then you will probably have a " connect " button to click on , that should get the modem connected . If you post the make and model of the modem and who your ISP is , someone should be able to give you a more detailed instruction

Ashley

ambra4 23:51 11 Jun 2008

You can leave the usb driver install but you now have to configure the lan card and network on the

computer to allow you access to the router

If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly.

Web Browser Settings

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

Start IE web browser. Select-Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab

In the “Connection” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, select “LAN Settings”

Untick marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on all Computers

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

Click-Start-Settings-Network Connection

Double-click on the “Network Connection”

Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

At bottom of display tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

Click-Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Click the “Properties” button

Select “Obtain an IP address automatically”

Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Click- Advanced-Click-WINS Tab-Tick-Enable LMHOSTS Lookup if untick

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

Other Lan Card Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control-Change to Enabled if Disabled

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

Router Setup

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s until it synch with your broadband ISP

And as “Ashrich said an ethernet modem doesn't need drivers and therefore would not be " found "

by Windows I assume you are, in which case you can use the CD as a frisbee and do it manually.

Start your browser and enter the router access code, check the manual for the correct code

Once you have access the router, using the set up wizard you need to select the Following

Connection Type = PPPoA

VPI/VCI = 0/38

Encapsulation = VCMUX.

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

Click the Internet button on the router menu and change the following setting

Dial on Demand – Is Ticked

Idle Time (Minutes) – 3420

MTU – 1492

Save and reboot the router

See if you can now access the Internet once the router finish rebooting

Once you can access the Internet you can look at setting up the wireless system if not using just

disable in the wireless section in the router

mgmcc 07:47 12 Jun 2008

Are you actually using an ADSL Modem with Ethernet connectivity or a combined "Router & ADSL Modem"?

FatboySlim71 08:17 12 Jun 2008

With my Netgear DG834GT, I open a browser and enter click here, this then gets me into my modem/router setup.

lodger 16:59 12 Jun 2008

modem is Netgear adsl 2 DM111P...........isp is virgin media...........the procedure does indeed seem simple once the modem is found by the wizard, and that leads me to suspect that i have a dodgy driver in my network connection..pc used to run xp pro and now runs 98se..........i may put an xp pro driver back in there........the grand plan is to use Linux instead of windows, one day, hopefully before i die :)

Stuartli 17:40 12 Jun 2008

I didn't have to disable ZoneAlarm or anything else to set up my wired modem router.......

lodger 12:00 14 Jun 2008

i too think that the modem should simply go online without help from me, but some conflict is making the modem invisble........anyway, will post result when i get it sorted, ......hopefully before the end of the century.........

Stuartli 12:50 14 Jun 2008

Actually it did have to be configured properly via 192.168.1.1 (in my case), but it was very straightforward.

By the way, if you are by any chance on AOL or TalkTalk, the MTU figure should be set at 1432, otherwise you could get problems with some downloads or sending e-mails with attachments.

Ashrich 18:49 14 Jun 2008

Invisible to what ? It is only when you access it via a web browser using the 192.168.*.* that it can be seen , as it has no drivers it won't show in device manager for example .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache