Ethernet controller connection type help!

  Caine 13:38 28 May 2008

System: WinXP, Netgear Router DG834G
Last week my router connection dropped out with the error message 'Network cable is unplugged'. I got back online with my trusty old speedtouch 330 and got some advice from a thread to alter the settings of my Ethernet controller. I have ULi pci Ethernet Controller and I changed the connection type from the default 'Auto sense' to 10 Mbps full_duplex and it all came back on! Can someone tell me what I have actually changed and why it should have happened. I've had the Netgear router DG834G set on its default settings (auto sense) for months & its been OK. An 'Internet Gateway' connection has also appeared in the network connection manager (It could have been there before, I don't remember!)
I would really welcome an explanation.

  brundle 18:05 28 May 2008

You've reduced the speed of the interface by a factor of 10. Check the cable for damage. Check with the manufacturer of your Ethernet hardware to see if there's a driver update. Internet Gateway in Network Manager usually means either the SSDP and/or UPnP service is running. SSDP is nothing to worry about, but you might want to check the configuration of your router to ensure UPnP is disabled (it opens ports automatically, a bit of a security risk).

  Caine 19:08 28 May 2008

Thanks for your response.
I've had the cable checked and used another known to be OK, and still get this same result. I've done a driver update and that produced nothing new. Is there anything else that would have compromised the speed?

  brundle 21:40 28 May 2008

Faulty router? Can you try it on another machine or borrow one to test on your machine?

  Caine 14:33 02 Jun 2008

I think I've isolated the issue. I noticed that the programme drst.exe (Dr Speedtouch) was being very active trying to moniter the connection even though the speedtouch modem was not plugged in. when I disabled the process and reset the ethernet connection to autosense it went back to its original setting. I've now re-enabled drst.exe to see if it makes it 'crash' again. It hasn't yet, but it appears that that's the culprit. I now remember something about uninstalling your modem drivers before enabling a router, maybe that's what was wrong. Funny it worked for so long though!!
Thanks for your help and time,

  brundle 14:57 02 Jun 2008

Glad it's sorted, thanks for getting back with the solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)