Ethernet Connection Problem

Learalike 12:18 18 Oct 2004

Can anyone tell me why I seem to be unable to get a ethernet connection when I connect my cable modem to a wireless router (tried 2 different ones Belkin and DLink). I connect the modem to the PC with ethernet and thats fine but when I try to connect through a router I don`t get any connection at all, and so obviously I can`t set up a wireless Broadband connection. Thanks in advance, Tom

recap 12:24 18 Oct 2004

Check the cable type, crossover or straight through?

Learalike 12:25 18 Oct 2004

Yes, tried it with both routers

Learalike 12:26 18 Oct 2004

According to the manuals it doen`t matter which cables?

easyrider 15:06 18 Oct 2004

Is it just a wireless router or is it a wireless router/modem. Going for an all in one would have been better than getting a modem and a router.

Learalike 17:08 18 Oct 2004

The modem is a NTL Cable Modem originally using USB connection now using ethernet,it works fine while connected straight to computer, but when i connect the router I don`t get the Eth` light on the modem nor doe`s the WAN light come on the router.

easyrider 17:26 18 Oct 2004

If you connect the modem to computer then computer to router youshould be able to set up a wireless broadband connection. I am assuming that you are trying to share your connection.

mosfet 17:35 18 Oct 2004

I would reset modem & router, power down everything.Power modem first..let it set...then router..then comp.

Learalike 18:10 18 Oct 2004

Going to try both ideas from easyrider and Les2 I`ll be offline again for a while.

Learalike 18:51 18 Oct 2004

Tried both ideas,no joy, need to get ready for work now, I`ll try again in the morning, thanks for your input :)

easyrider 19:45 18 Oct 2004

Are you conecting the modem to the 98se pc or to the tiny pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?