Ethernet Connection

fabrica 20:29 08 Feb 2010

Since I had Vista Home Basic re-installed on my Dell Vostro Pc I have not been able to connect to the Internet through my ethernet connection. The USB connection has been quite reliable, but I wish to go wireless and require the ethernet connection. Can anyone identify the problem, and suggest a remedy in not too technical terms.
I would be most grateful & Many thanks
Fabrica

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:37 08 Feb 2010

Vista Home Basic re-installed.

You probably need to load the ethernet adaptor drivers for your machine, what model number Vostro?

Check in device manager and see if there is an exclamation mark against the ethernet (network ) driver.

fabrica 21:54 08 Feb 2010

Hi Fruit Bat

It is a Vostro 200

I have checked Device Manager, and clicked
Network connections
Intel (R)8256v -2 10/100 network connection
MT882
Both are working correctly

ame 23:42 08 Feb 2010

What "usb" connection/device are you using to access the internet at the moment - a modem? What router ,ake/model do you have? Have you re-installed the router software and set it up again?

ame 23:43 08 Feb 2010

"make/model"!

northumbria61 23:45 08 Feb 2010

click here=

This LINK refers to your Network Connections - you could DISABLE your current connections and download this one. It may just work for you.

northumbria61 23:47 08 Feb 2010

Should have said click on NETWORK (4) Tab and choose the Intel one (bottom one of 4 in list)

fabrica 12:15 09 Feb 2010

Hi ame
My USB Connection is a Talktalk Smartax MT882 Modem,It works fine on USB, but i can't get it to configure on ethernet. I would like to use a wireless Talktalk Huawei Echo Life HG520b Router,
But like my modem it will not configure.I have re-installed the software for both items without success.
Thanks

fabrica 12:26 09 Feb 2010

Hi northumbria61
Thanks for the link, I have been to Dell downloads
Entered my Service Tag but was unsure which download I needed. but you say NETWORK (4).
On th Dell Link there is a note saying that downloads should be downloaded in a sequance or they may not work correctly. an I ok to just do the one you suggest. Finally If I disable my current Usb connection I will not be able to download at all.
Thanks

northumbria61 12:53 09 Feb 2010

click here

This is the LINK I gave you previously at 23.45hrs 8th Feb. - that takes you to the page "Drivers & Downloads for Vostro Desktop 200" - Scroll down that page you have a list headed "All Vostro Desktop 200 (67 Files) Click the BLUE arrow next to NETWORK (4) - ie(4 meaning it has four files to choose from) the bottom one in that list (the 4th one) named INTEL-DRIVER appears to be the one you need. Download it and SAVE to your computer. Then go to Device Manager - click on Network Adapters to expand - then RIGHT click on your INTEL Network Controller and click UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE.

Sea Urchin 13:02 09 Feb 2010

Easier to download to the desktop - then just double-click on the downloaded file to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?