Ethernet connection

Toy 11:36 27 Jul 2008

Sorry a novice here! I have just connected my computer to a router so that I can run my PS3 etc as well. I have connected the ethernet cable into the back of the computer however it will not connect to the internet. Someone said that I need a network card is that correct or can I download a driver for it to work. It is a Compaq Evo 310. Any help would be appreciated

Steve

birdface 12:04 27 Jul 2008

Switch of your modem then switch it on again and leave for 2 minutes before you use it.

smy13 12:07 27 Jul 2008

has your router come preloaded with your ISP's setting. Or is it a generic one that you need to sign in to and add your ISP's settings

daba 12:08 27 Jul 2008

How were you connected to the internet before starting to use the router ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:13 27 Jul 2008

"I have just connected my computer to a router"

How?

I assume you have connected by anethernet cable from the rear of the PC to a simlar socket on the router.

More info required to help you
make and model of router?
Make and model of PC?
operating system XP or vista?
your internet service provider (ISP) Orange, Tiscali, BT?

Toy 18:16 27 Jul 2008

I have switched off the router but no joy. It was a generic router that I have added my ISP details to. I was previously connected via a speed touch (Orange) Broadband. Other devices such as PS3 are working and connecting to internet just not my computer. When I go into System Properties / Device Manager / other devices it says Ethernet Controller with a yellow question mark. Any advice please!

ambra4 19:33 27 Jul 2008

You need to install the driver for the lan card

Once you have installed the driver than set up the lan card and the network to allow you access to

the Internet

How to set up the lan card and network

click here

woodchip 19:39 27 Jul 2008

If you connected Router to the Computer you do not need extra Lan cards or Drivers. You need to put your ISP into the Router Settings along with User Name and Password

woodchip 19:50 27 Jul 2008

Lan Drivers should have been loaded, Unless the Comp as had a Restore or reinstall. Drivers for the Lan should be on motherboard CD or get them from Motherboard Site for your motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017