Ethernet Card or USB Adaptor

  raysophie 12:44 19 Aug 2010

My neighbour has just been sent a Virgin Modem which needs to be connected to desk top PC by Ethernet Connector however her PC only has a USB connection, at the moment she is using a AOL modem via USB port. Which would be the best option , internal card or USB adaptor?
I am happy to install card into PC assuming it will just plug into slot on motherboard.
Info on PC is Celeron(R) CPU2.40GHZ
2.42 GHZ
768 mb. Ram
It is a independent shop built PC so not sure of Mother Board.

  woodchip 12:49 19 Aug 2010

She needs a Ethernet card to set it up then can change to wireless one its running. PS I do not use CD just Get into Router Settings and run setup, you put ISP and User Name plus Password in. After you have to go back into setup page and start the Wireless going as its disabled by default You have to then Create a SSID and setup Encryption key

Use some form of WPA not WEP

  woodchip 12:50 19 Aug 2010

The above only applies if its a Router, as a USB modem needs drivers loading

  raysophie 12:53 19 Aug 2010

She does not want to go wirless just update modem from AOL to Virgin.

  woodchip 13:52 19 Aug 2010

Then just plug the Modem into a Ethernet card, but you need to first check there is a Free PCI or dedicated Ethernet slot to fit a card

  raysophie 13:57 19 Aug 2010

how would I find out?

  DieSse 14:30 19 Aug 2010

Look inside.

PS it's a PCI slot you want - I don't think there is such a thing as an "Ethernet slot".

  DieSse 14:31 19 Aug 2010

PPS - you'll want a PCI card, not a PCIe card, in all likeliehood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?