ethernet card

admatt 09:32 01 May 2003

morning,
i have recently connected my ntl broadband using the usb connection, i have now installed an ethernet card and i am trying to change to this connection.
how is this best done?

billyliv 09:40 01 May 2003

Hi, Close everything down. Switch everything off. Remove your USB cable and couple up a 'straight through Cat 5 ethernet cable' from your modem to your ethernet card in your PC. switch everything back on and that is it. Cheers, Bill

TECHNODIMWIT 09:49 01 May 2003

you also need to switdh off the modem.

it should sort out your new ip adress for you

admatt 10:19 01 May 2003

i tried turning it all off but it still didn't work.
no ip address was created.
no eth light on the modem

billyliv 10:38 01 May 2003

Hi, I assume that you installed your ethernet card drivers when you fitted your card. If you did, try another PCI slot for your card. Cheers, Bill. (PS. check your card in Device manager)

admatt 10:54 01 May 2003

did that, device manager says its working ok

admatt 10:56 01 May 2003

oh, bye the way, do i need to connect to wol (i think thats what its called)cable from the card to the motherboard?

billyliv 11:27 01 May 2003

Hi, Getting out of my depth now. All I did was instal my ethernet card in the PCI slot next to my CNR slot, instal the card drivers, and couple up the cables. The WOL cable you refer to is the Wake On Lan cable, this should only be coupled if you have wake on lan enabled. It may be that you will have to wait until your IP lease expires ( when it is coupled up to USB ) That means switching your modem off, remove your USB cable, fit your ethernet cable, and leave it switched off for say, 30 minutes. Failing that Recouple up your USB and go to the card manufacturers web site and download the latest drivers for your card.

billyliv 11:29 01 May 2003

Hi admatt, Sorry I forgot the Cheers, Bill to sign off. Cheers, Bill

admatt 11:42 01 May 2003

thanks bill, i'll give all the above a try.
many thanks, martin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone