ethernet cable

chippy+ 21:27 05 May 2009

hi due to work being carried out in my daughters attic her ethernet cable was cut it is to much work to fit a new one, can the cable be jointed or extended thanks thanks Chippy

grey george 22:13 05 May 2009

Providing there is enough slack you can just match the pairs from each severed half. You can just twist them together but it is better to solder or use a breadblock. If twisting together obviously you will need to insulate with tape each connection from the others. I usually then wrap a piece of tin foil around the whole join to shield it from stray noise. If there is not enough slack then you will need to make two joins with a piece of spare cable. It might be cheaper to buy a short patch lead and cut the plugs off if you don't have a spare piece of cable. Do this when the cable is unplugged or everything is switched off.

wjrt 22:20 05 May 2009

click here

if the cut is short then possibly one of these will do or if longer connection then two and some extra cable between them

chippy+ 19:28 06 May 2009

hi grey george and wjrt sorry about the delay i had a short length of cable and joined the cable works great no loss of signal thanks again Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?