Ethernet advice

Fogey 16:33 13 Apr 2007

I have two pc's one running win xp and one with win 98se.
Both have Zoom 5506 adsl pci modems fitted,and work very well
However I would like to install Linux on the win 98se machine,I have been informed that it is easier to set up an internet connection via ethernet with linux.
So do I need to fit a ethernet card in the win 98se machine,and buy a modem/router.
The win xp machine has two lan ports on board.
Will my pci modems play a part in any way.

Thanks in advance.

irishrapter 18:49 13 Apr 2007

Linux can work well in both wireless or wired mode, the setup would depend on what hardware and version of Linux you are going to use.

You will need a router with a built in ADSL modem, there are many out there to choose from!
To run the Linux/Win98 computer you will need either an Ethernet card or a wireless card installed.
The other XP computer again can be installed either via cable, which you already have Ethernet ports attached, or wireless in which case you will need to buy either a PCI wireless card or a USB dongle.

The PCI modems will no longer be needed if you are using a router.

mocha 20:17 13 Apr 2007

Hi Fogey,
As I see it your computers at the moment are not networked, if you want to stay that way and just install Linux on your Win 98se computer and use your zoom adsl modem then just download different liveCD versions of Linux, this gives you the option of booting from the CD and seeing if it reckognises all your hardware plus gives you a feel for all the different versions of Linux out there. Most of the popular versions of Linux demand a minimum of 128mb ram but there are many out there that will install with far less ram, so it depends how much ram you have installed on your computer. See here for a range of LiveCD's click here . If you want to go the network route then follow irishrapter's advice.

Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?