Ethernet advice

bananaz 15:56 16 Jan 2006

Hi, im using a BT voyager 100 usb modem to connect my dell dimension PC (XP SP2) via AOL 2Mb broadband. I have an PCI ethernet card already inside my tower & would like some advice on where & what i need to start with please.
I have searched all over this & many other sites, but as a newbie im a bit lost.
My PC is situated in another room & i have a phone line extension lead running to my PC, so im thinking that a wireless router is the way to go. However, i have seen these wireless PCI adapters bundled with wireless routers & im really not sure if i need both items? Otherwise would i be correct in thinking that i could just buy a wireless router & run it off the landline extension (like the USB modem) & then connect it straight into my ethernet PCI card? Which cuts out the PCI adapter, but does still leave cables all over the place. Im at a loss as to what to do. The reasons for wanting to change over to ethernet, are the facts that its more reliable & quicker than a standard USB modem & i will also be able to connect laptops (wireless) etc.
Would you also be so kind as to point me in the right direction of a suitable router please?
Thankyou in advance kind ppl.

Forum Editor 16:20 16 Jan 2006

1. Buy a wireless router/modem, connect it directly to the phone point, and install a wireless network card in one of your computer's PCI slots. That's the 'no wires' solution.

2. Buy a modem/router and connect it to your computer via an ethernet cable, in which case you would - as you said - use the computer's LAN port.

My advice is to buy a modem/router combination, and slot a PCI wireless adapter into your computer. An hour or so of setting up, and you have a wireless broadband service.

Forum Editor 16:24 16 Jan 2006

I forgot to recommend a router.

I'm currently using a BT Voyager 2110 at home - it's an excellent router. There are others of course, and I've been very happy with both Netgear and Belkin models in my office.

bananaz 16:49 16 Jan 2006

I dont have a free PCI slot left, but i am going to remove the voice/fax dail up modem as i have never used it, which means i can then go with your favoured option 1. Are all wireless adapters fine to use with the BT Voyager 2110 at home?

thanks for you help.

Forum Editor 17:54 16 Jan 2006

with mixing wireless adapters and routers. The adapter has a pretty simple job to do. Normally I use either Belkin or Linksys models, but that's just a personal preference thing.

bananaz 18:35 16 Jan 2006

ok thanks very much indeed for your advice, im off to purchase them.

cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?