Ethernet / ADSL adapter

coolteentom 13:50 08 Aug 2006

Hi, I have just bought a wireless router, however the router takes an ADSL connection, and I have an ethernet connection from my modem.

I was just wondering if it's possible to get an ethernet / adsl adapter?

Thanks,

Tom

johnnyrocker 14:09 08 Aug 2006

doubt it as all connections needed, can you not change it?

johnny.

Eric10 14:20 08 Aug 2006

It sounds as if your router already has a built in modem so you don't need your original modem. Connect the ADSL connection to your phone line in place of the modem and connect the router to your PC using one of its ethernet connections and the ethernet (LAN) connection on your PC.
You should now be able to logon to the router's setup page by typing its address (192.168.0.1 is a commonly used address but check your router's documentation) into your browser address bar and entering the username and password supplied with the router.
If you are still having problems then post back with the make and model of the router.

coolteentom 14:20 08 Aug 2006

I have a cable modem and a router that has an adsl (phone line) port. Is it not possible to get an adapter to change the ethernet cable to an adsl connector to connect to the router?

Eric10 14:22 08 Aug 2006

Now it makes sense. You cannot use an ADSL router on a cable network. You need to get a cable router.

coolteentom 14:23 08 Aug 2006

sorry eric10 only just got your post..

I don't have an ADSL connection, it is a broadband cable modem that is recieved through a coaxial cable and then connects to a devide via ethernet. Does this mean I won't be able to connect it?

Router: Netgear dg834g v2.

coolteentom 14:28 08 Aug 2006

damnnnn, so theres no way this router will recieve a cable connection? Just I got it off ebay, and it will be hell to send it back :(.

ade.h 14:32 08 Aug 2006

To summarise what we often have to state in Networking click here click here

coolteentom 14:37 08 Aug 2006

ok, so basically I've got to get hold of a cable/DSL router, and get rid of this one.

Eric10 14:37 08 Aug 2006

Sorry but there's no way round it as the circuit design of the units are quite different. You may be able to sell it on again through ebay to try and get something back. click here for a similar Netgear router but for cable.

coolteentom 14:53 08 Aug 2006

Hey,

Thanks Eric10 and everyone for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?