Eternally installing Windows Update.

Stonechatz 14:00 28 Aug 2010

I have the little yellow Windows Update shield down in my notification area - it says "Downloads are ready to instal". When installed, the yellow shield persists, and when I select it, it instals again. At shutdown, Windows Updates instal before the machine switches off. When re-started, the Windows Update yellow shield is there again...and so ad infinitum!

Sea Urchin 14:02 28 Aug 2010

Which update is it that's continually installing?

Graphicool1 18:00 28 Aug 2010

If you have your updates set to 'Auro' cahange it to 'Manual' then...

Click >Start
>Help & Support
>Windows Update
>Express (get high priority updates) recommended

Then you can select the updates you do or don't want. Then update them from there.

Graphicool1 18:01 28 Aug 2010

Should read 'Auto' NOT 'Auro'?!

Stonechatz 19:01 28 Aug 2010

KB981852 - it says it is installing, says it has installed, and then goes thru the same cycle over and over...

Stonechatz 19:06 28 Aug 2010

I went to custom instal, and deselected the update. It is a security update, so I guess I still need it... but it has stopped the eternal installation loop!

Sea Urchin 19:06 28 Aug 2010

Check on your update history to see if it actually has installed successfully

Atlantic Man 11:05 29 Aug 2010

Windows updates are useless- downloading automatically will greatly damage your internet cap.
Updating Anti-Virus software is best.

Disable updates is what I recommend

DieSse 16:15 29 Aug 2010

"Windows updates are useless"

That's very poor advice. Most windows updates are to fix security issues, and thus are important.

Go to the Add/Remove programs - select to view updates. If you see KB981852, uninstall it.

Go to click here and find KB981852 - download it and install it - see if this cures the incessant install issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?