Essentials for a new lean system Windows7?

Snrub 14:29 23 Aug 2010

I have a brand new ACER DESKTOP Windows 7 with Intel Core2 Quad processor which I am trying to set up only with lean essential add on programs to prevent a bloated system. Very disappointed with non existent info and instructions from Acer on how to set up and use new computer with no Windows 7 disc included and no instructions on how to set up and run new computer.
It came with a McAfee Security Suite 6 month trial installed which I have updated because I already pay for BT Broadband McAfee Net Protect with BT Broadband option 2. This takes care of firewall and virus protection and provides real time on-line protection, updates and scans for malware etc.

I have added Process Explorer , Autoruns and Prism because I like to know just what my system is loading up at login and how the resources are coping, cpu etc. Running Process Explorer and Prism on-top is very informative at Start Up.

I was shocked to see 60 processes running on Process Explorer caused by the Acer pre installed programs and will have to work through de-crappifying the system. I like to keep my system overhead lean running about 30+ processes.

I have added Malwarebites to scan for problems as a backup to McAfee.

I am tempted to add Advanced System Care Pro to keep the system tuned up. Used it on my old XP computer and was very impressed with it.

Really thinking hard about whether to load Ccleaner, maybe too agressive?

Any further ideas on what essential programs a lean system should have on would be appreciated?

gengiscant 14:37 23 Aug 2010

What is Prism? can you supply a link?

howard64 14:41 23 Aug 2010

on my new w7 setup I have tuneup utilities working in the background - superantispyware for any nasties that come my way. Win patrol paid for prog to control startup progs. Hope this helps.

northumbria61 14:54 23 Aug 2010

"I am tempted to add Advanced System Care Pro to keep the system tuned up" - just recently installed this and I am very impressed. (I have Windows 7 64bit)

robin_x 16:29 23 Aug 2010

See these freeware sites

also cnet.com and filehippo (free and shareware)

click here

click here

robin_x 16:32 23 Aug 2010

openoffice thunderbird vlc firefox

Also see videohelp.com for all things dvd and media related

robin_x 16:36 23 Aug 2010

mozbackup revo uninstaller ccleaner easeus todo backup (or use W7 Backup & Restore/Image)

I think that is enough to be going on with. Have fun.

robin_x 16:41 23 Aug 2010

Ultimate Windows Tweaker @ thewindowsclub.cob

Synctoy from Microsoft

robin_x 16:42 23 Aug 2010

.cob? you know what I mean

Snrub 16:46 23 Aug 2010

I use cnet.com and filehippo but its so easy to bloat the system. The idea is 'minimalistic' with Essential ONLY programmes. I did this on my old XP computer and am keen to keep the new Windows7 computer lean.
Prism HD is from cnet.com

robin_x 16:47 23 Aug 2010

Sorry for being verbose, I forgot the most important ones.

avira or avast or avg antivirus (personnaly i prefer avira.com /free)

Adblock Plus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?