essensital free security and maintenance software

LivEviL 19:00 29 Jul 2009

Hi all im trying to work out the best Free security and maintenance/other software for windows which is all free, so far i have

the security stuff:

Avg Free for antivirus
zonealarm free for firewall
malwarebytes free for malware scans ect (i use a scheduled windows task for updates and scans to auto it)

for maintenance software i use
Ccleaner
and
Defraggler
any others good?

(i require a good free back up programm)

other software which i think is an essential are

google Chrome
Imgburn
7-zip
VLC media player

every time i install a fresh OS of windows i tend to install all these programs are there any other free stuff i should use instead or as well or change, i would also like to know if there are any good free recovery programs, cloning programs( like Norton ghost) and any good scheduling backup programs ,and any good alts to windows media player, I know there's winamp but any others

just trying to make a good list of free software cheers

Quiney 19:03 29 Jul 2009

System cleaner that I use is Advance System Care Free
click here

birdface 19:37 29 Jul 2009

click here if using I/Explorer i would try IE7 pro add-on.click here Maybe Winpatrol.click here and you need something to keep Malwarebytes company.

GaT7 19:38 29 Jul 2009

For backups try Paragon Drive Backup Pro 9.0 click here

A few other free ones I install after a fresh OS install that you might find useful too:

TrueCrypt click here: Folder/drive/partition encryption tool
SpywareBlaster click here: Blocks unwanted cookies, etc without taking up any resources
StartupMonitor click here: Simple, yet effective protection against unnecessary items loading at startup (acts prospectively)
LastPass click here: Password manager & form filler that's as good, if not better, than RoboForm Pro
MyDefrag (formerly JKDefrag) click here: Thorough defragmenter tool
Paint.NET click here: Way better than Windows Paint, & tend to use it much more often than Paint Shop Pro even!
xplorer² Lite click here: 2-pane alternative to Windows Explorer
Ashampoo Burning Studio 2009 click here: Dumped Nero in favour of this
Foxit Reader click here: Fast, non-bloated alternative to Adobe Reader
Unlocker click here: Delete any annoying 'undeletable' file/folder

From your list I also use AVG Free, ImgBurn, 7-Zip & VLC media player. G

DieSse 19:56 29 Jul 2009

Avast or Avira in preference to AVG (though I don't use any of these - I prefer the added security and speed of Eset Security Suite)

Firewall - have one in Eset - for free prefer Sunbelt, as it's less intrusive.

I use Wise Disk Cleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner in (my) preference to CCleaner

Defragger - I use the Windows one.

Firefox in (my) preference to Chrome - though I sometimes use Chrome just to see how it's getting along.

IMgBurn - (my) preference is Ashampoo free (V6).

VLC is fantastic - agree wholeheartedly.

Spyware I use Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D.

Mike Lins startup monitor - excellent

Seagte Disk Wizard is excellent for cloning and Imaging - it's a cut-down free version of Acronis True Image. I have a copy of Acronis that is a good investment as it has more facilities.

LivEviL 22:43 29 Jul 2009

yeah i use acronis too and also foxit reader, Advance System Care seems to claim alot of ill have to try it, if it does what it claims it does it could be a really handy program, iv used sunbelt in the past and it was great for ages until it reduced its functions :-S iv used alot of ashampoo stuff and iv always gotten on with it but for some reason not trusted it, but maybe i should look again. also used paint.net and liked it but as i dont do enough photo editing it never been needed but do like it! iv used alot of these programs and there good but i wouldnt say they were essential, cheers im going to look at them again tho

RobCharles1981 00:01 30 Jul 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?