Escaping to Spain

Ontaphr 18:45 08 Jan 2005

Hi, I am a freelance consultant who tired of the grey skies is escaping to live in Spain. My desktop and laptop are rather tired and I am planning to purchase a new laptop.

I was thinking of a centrino based machine to view dvds on the boring flights if, in the absence of work in Spain, I have to commute back to the UK.

I would welcome some advice on which Brands are technically best supported in Spain? And would it be better to wait until I move before making a purchase?

Thanks

Forum Editor 19:35 08 Jan 2005

where you'll get the advice you need.

We have some forum members who are based in Spain, and I'm sure one of them will post with some good advice about brands. If you think that there's a chance you'll need customer support in Spain I would definitely advise buying the computer there.

For what it's worth, I travel a lot on business - mainly long-haul - and I have never once watched a DVD during a flight. I look upon the use of laptops in aircraft as one of the great anti-social activities, and avoid it if I can. For me a good book is the best companion, and there are always reasonable films on the flights anyway.

john-232317 09:20 09 Jan 2005

Looked for this in Consumerwatch but cant find it so will post here.

Like FE says, buy it here in Spain.

Everything that is available in UK is in Spain also, All the programs XP etc are all available in English or Spanish ;-).

The prices are about the same as UK, if not cheaper.

And like FE says you may need customer support, i know its worldwide, but you get better support if its bought from the same shop.

Hope this helps a bit....John

keith-236785 09:43 09 Jan 2005

on the two hour flight back or to spain, you probably wouldnt have time to watch a dvd anyway.

if you are fkuent in spanish and can communicate well, then i would buy in spain as stated already just for the occasion when it all goes wrong.

good luck in spain.

p.s

any chance of sneaking me out in your suitcase <:-))

keith-236785 09:44 09 Jan 2005

that should have read FLUENT, sorry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?