eSATA PCIe and HDD dock

iqs 22:03 08 Dec 2008

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying the following peripheral,it will connect via a PCI-e sSATA x1 connection.

I have read that there are a few issues with an eSATA connection,can you confirm or deny this before I purchase please,

Thanks

click here

click here

iqs 22:04 08 Dec 2008

should say 'it will connect via a PCI-e eSATA x1 connection'

FatboySlim71 23:28 08 Dec 2008

I got an Esata bracket around 12 months ago for my ESATA caddie, hard drive, I have had no issues with it.

The ESATA bracket I got plugs on to a spare SATA port on the motherboard, with this type you are not losing a PCI port.

If your motherboard has spare SATA ports on it then I would recommend using the ESATA bracket I mentioned. Here's a link to the place where I got mine from, although the one I got had two ports on the plate whereas the one in my link only has one.

click here

MCE2K5 23:41 08 Dec 2008

If you get the First one,

Can you let me know how it goes, That's just what I need, Couldn't find the Single one a couple of months ago.

Cheers, MCE2K5.

iqs 15:12 10 Dec 2008

MCE2K5

iqs 15:15 10 Dec 2008

Hello again ,

Is this card able to provide the SATA/2 throughput speed via the PCI-e X1 connection ??

Cheers

iqs 22:25 16 Dec 2008

MCE2K5

I did not buy the eSATA card or the docking station from NOVATECH in the end,various reasons.

One was due to the lack of a light on the dock which signalled/flashed when the HDD was being accessed/written to etc etc.

But I did buy the USB 2.0 SATA dock from Maplin(comes with a access light),I must say it works superbly.Easy to install, fluid HDD eject mechanism.

I used the dock to clone my C: drive using Acronis ,no problems at all.Well work the money

Cheers

MCE2K5 22:43 16 Dec 2008

I ordered the eSATA Card today, Will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

Was going to tell you earlier, But got distracted.

I'll let you know tomorrow what it's like.

Glad you are sorted.

Merry Christmas ;-)

iqs 10:02 17 Dec 2008

Hi MCE2K5,

I'm still interested in buying the eSATA card,just cant afford it until after Christmas,so please let me know what it's like.

And Merry Christmas to you

MCE2K5 20:10 17 Dec 2008

Got the Card, Still waiting for Cable.

Will be here on Friday AM.

Let you know more then (Afternoon).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017