ESATA drive doesnt appear in My Computer window

FatboySlim71 10:51 02 Aug 2008

I have Vista Ultimate.

A while back I purchased an ESATA caddie and hard drive to make my own external hard drive.

The drive works perfectly and is very fast, the problem/question I have is this:

If my computer is switched on, I.E. Vista has loaded up, if I switch the ESATA external hard drive on it will not show in the devices/drives in the My Computer window, whereas a USB one does. The ESATA drive does appear in My Computer if I switch it on and then switch my computer on.

I was just wondering if there is a way or some setting that would allow me to switch my ESATA external hard drive on when my computer is already switched on and for it to appear in the My Computer window.

Ditch999 12:58 02 Aug 2008

Have you tried switching on the external drive and using the refresh button (the one with the 2 arrows forming a circle) beside the address bar?

FatboySlim71 13:08 02 Aug 2008

Thanks Ditch999. I went into My Computer and clicked the refresh button (the one with the 2 arrows forming a circle) beside the address bar, but it still does not appear.

Ditch999 14:58 02 Aug 2008

Was there a driver disc with the caddy?
If you switch the drive on with Vista booted, then go to Device Manager is the drive listed there, or are there any devices with exclamation marks beside them?

FatboySlim71 15:41 02 Aug 2008

There was no driver disk with the caddie or the hard drive that I purchased to go in it.

The only hard drive that is listed in device manager is the C drive (internal hard drive). There are also no devices with exclamation marks beside them.

Ditch999 15:45 02 Aug 2008

If you go to Disk Management is it listed there?

FatboySlim71 15:48 02 Aug 2008

"If you go to Disk Management is it listed there?"

The only one shown is the C drive.

FatboySlim71 15:56 02 Aug 2008

I have just been on the manufacturers website for my caddie and I found this, not sure if this would help my problem?

click here

FatboySlim71 16:06 02 Aug 2008

Just to update.

I downloaded the Hotswap program mentioned in the link, it basically is a very similar program to the safely remove hardware that is on the taskbar.

There is an option on it to scan for hardware changes, after doing this it finds my ESATA external hard drive that I have just switched on. I'll test it a bit more before marking resolved but up to now I can do what I couldn't do before.

Ditch999 16:09 02 Aug 2008

That doesnt say its Vista compatible and it only does what the OS is supposed to do.

In Device Manager does it appear if you "Scan for Hardware changes" after plugging it in?

Is there the option to set the drive to SATA I on the drive itself?

FatboySlim71 17:13 02 Aug 2008

"That doesnt say its Vista compatible and it only does what the OS is supposed to do."

The latest version 4.1.1.0 is Vista compatible.

In Device Manager does it appear if you "Scan for Hardware changes" after plugging it in?"

This is sooo strange, the "Scan for Hardware changes" after plugging it in, was one of the first things I did when I initially noticed the problem, and when I did it initially it did not show up, I have just tried it again after your suggestion Ditch999 and it now does indeed show up after I have scanned for hardware changes????

Is there the option to set the drive to SATA I on the drive itself?"

I don't think there is.

Thanks very much Ditch999 I really appreciate your help.

I'll see how things go before I mark resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?