Error signature playing .avi files in media player

Hozz 09:28 16 Aug 2006

Whenever I try to play .avi files in windows media player it shuts down because it 'encountered an unexpected error' The cause seems to be an error signature in quartz.dll. If you download and reinstall wmp10 the problem disappears but if you the go to windows update it makes you download the KB917734 critical update and after this the problem reoccurs. Any ideas what causes this?

vinnyT 14:09 16 Aug 2006

No sorry I don't, rather than dloading and installing wmp everytime, you could dl the file, quartz.dll, and replace into c:\windows\system32. For the file click here

It may work, but you may have to do as before.

Another user, on a diff forum had a simialr prob, but on windows 2000 (I'm assuming you're using XP);

"Eventually I was able to do it by killing
the "WMDM PMSP Service" while I installed the update (on my w2k machine, Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Find and
Kill "WMDM PMSP Service")."

Hope this helps.

Hozz 16:41 16 Aug 2006

I replaced quartz.dll but no luck. I am on XP but cannot find the WMDM PMSP service, perhaps it's only in Windows 2000. Incidentally I reinstalled WMP10, all ok, then decided not to download KB917734 but instead upgraded to WMP11 beta. Still got the same problem though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?