Error Reading CD-ROM

Danoh 22:47 06 May 2007

Friend of mine called and reported getting an error message after inserting a CD.
" Error trying to read CD-ROM
Autorun.exe-Application Error
X The application failed to initialize properly Oxc0000006 ). Click on OK to terminate the application."

He had restored a DriveImage7 image I had done for him 2 yrs ago, updated with critical MS updates. Then did another Di7 Image.

Then he installed his scanner and printer, had some issues and restored the Di7 image again but left his scanner and printer connected by their USB cables. He'd also installed a VIA 4-in-1 driver package from an Evesham support CD.
But then stopped being able to read from his CD drive. Thats when he called me.

I asked him to restore back to his latest Di7 image which was prior to his installation problems, but he still gets this CD drive reading error.
Any suggestions gratefully received!

birdface 23:13 06 May 2007

Try Device manager,See if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the programs.

Danoh 23:20 06 May 2007

Thx for a very fast response!
Unfortunately, I've already got him to do that and no problems shown via Device Manager apart from not having yet installed USB 2.0 drivers for his MSI k4v motherboard.

birdface 23:40 06 May 2007

click here This is all i could find ,dont know if anything that will help though.

Danoh 00:26 07 May 2007

Thanks buteman - he did have problems with Adobe installation early on.
But is the cause Windows Live OneCare AntiSpyware?

Danoh 23:06 07 May 2007

Sorted it with a fresh installation of Adobe Reader 9.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017