Error in Outlook Express

isititis 20:58 30 Mar 2009

My os is Winxp Home sp3.
I can't send emails in OE via a mail.btinternet.com account. When I do the error message Your server has unexpectely terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: mail.btinternet.com Server: mail.btinternet.com Protocol SMTP Server Response 451 See click here Port25 Secure[SSL] No Server Error 451 Error Number 0x800CCC0F
Please help.

MAJ 21:04 30 Mar 2009

It could just be that the server is having problems or is overloaded at the moment, or you could try disabling the email checking part of your antivirus program.

iscanut 21:06 30 Mar 2009

Looks like BT server is the problem. Contact them to find out if there are any SMTP or POP3 issues.

isititis 21:26 30 Mar 2009

Hi MAJ
Thank you for your rapid response. I am not to savvy with pc issues. My antivirus is Avast but am not sure how to disable the email checking part.
Hi iscanut
What is the best way to contact the BT server. I'm still learning!

iscanut 21:38 30 Mar 2009

When you signed up for BT Internet, you should have been advised of ways to contact the help desk. As you cannot email, is there a phone number ? Any BT Internet users out there to help out ?

lotvic 23:10 30 Mar 2009

# Dialup service status report: Call 0800 731 7777 or click here
# Broadband service status report: Call 0800 169 0199 or click here
# BT Broadband Technical Support: 0800 111 4567.
# Technical support helpdesk: 0808 100 5667

isititis 11:06 01 Apr 2009

Re: Error number 0x800CCC0F. Thanks guys for your help and to lotvic for the links and ph. numbers.
The problem with OE still remains after 2 calls to 0800 111 4567, which put me through eventually to India. Briefly what happened was this. My computer was taken over by the guy in India who, from what I could see, first brought up the error message. Then checked my settings in OE, made some changes, then opened OE. He then told me to enter my address in the to field and in the subject field I typed test. In the main page I typed test, then sent it. This seemed to do the trick, for I received it no problem. At that stage the connectiion was terminated after I had agreed that everything was ok. And it was.
When I sent mail a minute or so after, I got the exact error message again. I contacted India again and went through the same process as before
and have ended up with the same error message. It seems as though this is a permanent error message in OE that can only be corrected from India!

I would add that neither my firewall or antivirus has no influence on the mail for I have tried sending mail with both turned off (if that is the correct term)

Is it advisable to uninstall OE and reinstall it? There has to be an answer to this issue, so if anyone out there can point me in the right direction I thank you in advance

iscanut 11:25 01 Apr 2009

Have a look here, it might be of interest click here

isititis 12:55 01 Apr 2009

For iscanut. Thank you for the link. I have had a look at the suggested actions regarding IE and the possible affect on OE. IE at this stage does not appear to be unstable. I have had no messages that would indicate this. When I visit sites on the web the response is there in a couple of sec's. However, I have a Yahoo mail tool bar and notice that there is a link to 'Get IE now' I downloaded IE8 in it's Beta stages and wasn't impressed so I reverted to IE7. I'm tempted to dowload IE8 but don't see the point if problems still exist with OE. My questiion is if IE8 is downloaded and find it unsuitable, for whatever reason, can I revert to IE7?
I have to go out now but will be back about 4,00 pm

iscanut 13:27 01 Apr 2009

No matter what version of IE you use, it should have no effect on the version of OEx. Perhaps you could indicate how your accounts are set up ( Pop3 & SMTP settings ) so that other BT users can have a look if necessary and advise.

beeuuem 13:59 01 Apr 2009

It may be worth checking that the 'server requires authentication' box is ticked. See click here step 10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?