Error message when re-installing printer driver

Shas 11:48 07 Aug 2006

Windows 2000 Pro. HP LaserJet 3100 multi function device. Faxes received direct to the device print out OK, copier works OK, but I cannot print to it from the computer. Tried to update/reinstall the drivers but get the following error messages, (1) "the file RunSetup.dll could not be found" and (2) "error occurred during installation of device, system cannot find the file specified", but the files that it says it can't find are shown as being in the place where it's looking???

Any help very much appreciated :o)

xania 11:50 07 Aug 2006

I would suugest that a damaged OS file is the cause of your problem. Try running SFC /scannow with the installation CD in the drive, to repair the proplem file.

Shas 13:15 07 Aug 2006

Just tried what you suggested xania, but no luck I'm afraid. Device Manager still tells me there is no driver installed and if I go through the reinstall routine, I end up with the same message that the system cannot find the file specified.

Doing a search for the RunSetup.dll comes up with four files, and I've tried specifying each one, but get the same error message each time.

Any other suggestions please?

Shas 17:36 07 Aug 2006

Can anybody help me with this please?

xania 13:54 10 Aug 2006

OK, something hads got corrupted, and its not withion the system, so it must be within the drivers themselves. Delete the driver and any programs in add/delete programs and delete the device in Device Manager. Disconnect the device from the PC. Now reboot and follow the instructions in the device installation manual for the order (Hardware or Software first) for a completely fresh installation.

Shas 14:11 10 Aug 2006

Thanks for sticking with it xania, but I gave up with it in the end. I had done all you've just suggested. The software was quite old (1999 and originally on a Win98 machine), but after working perfectly well for 2 years or more *after* I upgraded to Win2K, the software started telling me it wasn't supported by the OS, so I downloaded up to date drivers and software from the HP website. Still got the same messages that it couldn't find any of the files it needed.

The machine still works fine as a stand-alone fax/copier but I gave up trying to get it to speak to my computer and bought a new multi-function device.

Thanks again - you reminded me to tick as resolved, (even though it wasn't) o:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?