error message on switch on

krsna 17:24 23 Mar 2007

I switch on my pc and when it reaches the desktop page an error message is displayed "unable to locate component. application failed to start because MSVCR70.dll was not found" When I press ok to it the message disappears & the PC seems to run OK.
This started happening after I loaded my BT Total Broadband which is working superbly.
I think this error message used to come before a few months ago when I closed down internet browser.
How can I get rid of this error mesage? although it does not seem to affect the running of the pc just annoying to have to acknowledge it very time I fire up the pc.

VoG II 17:32 23 Mar 2007

You may need to install the Visual Basic Runtime Library click here

Gongoozler 17:38 23 Mar 2007

I suspect that there's a startup item that's calling for this file. Try "Start - Run, type in msconfig, click OK and select the startup tab"

There will be a list of applications which are run at startup. Deselect the applications a few at a time, OK out of the dialog box and reboot. You may be able to identify the one that's giving a problem, and if you can, you should be able to tell whether you need it anyway. Most of the applications can be deselected without any serious implications, but be careful if you deselect your antivirus or firewall. Reselect the applications after you have completed your investigations.

krsna 12:01 03 Apr 2007

Thanks Gongoozler, I followed your advise & found an application which was causing the errror message, something to do with the browser. I reloaded the browser and the problem has cleared. Once again thanks for your knowhow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?