Error message at start up of XP

Garbo364 00:39 22 Nov 2006

When I swith on my computer enerything loads ok and I get to the login screen for the users. The problem happens when you click to login. A error msg noise happens while the blue screen is loading the settings and it take a while to load and when the desktop appears there is the following msg

windows cannot find C:\program files\common fles\microsoft shared\ibm00005.exe

Please can nyone help?

brundle 01:07 22 Nov 2006

Update your antivirus software, do a full scan (free ones click here), download/update anti-spyware software (free ones click here, do a full scan, clear out temporary files (free tool click here), clean the registry click here (a backup will be made of anything removed in case there is a problem)

Gongoozler 10:45 22 Nov 2006

ibm00005.exe is part of a trojan click here, and so needs to be sorted pronto. If the scans recommended by brundle don't sort it, try A-squared click here

Garbo364 11:51 22 Nov 2006

If this msg appears does it mean that the trojan has actually been deleted then? I have norton 06 and it shows no problems when I run a scan but the message still appears

Gongoozler 12:36 22 Nov 2006

The error message means that the file ibm00005.exe has been deleted, but that something is still on your computer that's trying to implement it. Run the scans suggested by brundle and me. If that doesn't find anything have a look in the startup list (Start - Run. Type in msconfig and then click OK. In the system configuration utility dialogue box click on the startup tab and see if there is anything suspicious there. If there is, untick the box alongside it and OK out of the utility.

Garbo364 13:37 22 Nov 2006

Cheers! I'm at work at the moment so will give it a go tonight. Thanks again and i'll let you know

Garbo364 21:37 22 Nov 2006

Hi there. I ran all the above and everything is clean but the error still happens. i looked in msconfig but wasnt sure what is supposed to be there or what it could be. Please help

Gongoozler 07:58 23 Nov 2006

Hi Garbo364. In the startup list, look at the entries under the "Command" heading and see if any of them has "C:\program files\common fles\microsoft shared\ibm00005.exe". or anything else with ibm00005.exe in it. You won't do any permanent harm unticking the wrong one, you will just have to put the tick back in later. If you want, you can post a list here.

Garbo364 08:55 23 Nov 2006

I looked for anything like that with the name and couldnt find it. I also started it in safe mode to see what happened and it still came up with the msg. I will post a list later when I get home.

Thanks!

Gongoozler 09:11 23 Nov 2006

If all else fails, you can run HiJackThis click here. You can then post a HiJackThis log file here, but it really needs someone experienced in interpreting HJT log files such as click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires