Error message problem

Alf58 11:39 08 Apr 2007

My daughters computer has suddenly started giving the following error message at the end of boot up:

"RTHDCPL.EXE- illegal system DLL Relocation.
The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly.
The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the dLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

Anyone know what we need to do to get rid of the message and sort out the problem? The application RTHDCPL.EXE seems to be something to do with the Realtek audio set up on my daughter's machine. THe sound plays ok although the "advanced" option on the sound controls is grayed out. She cant remember if it was always like that. We could reinstall the audio software but how do we know if it would go to the wrong place again?

The Setup is WIN XP home edition with Service Pack 2. Pentium 4 processor 500 MB memory. The machine has worked happily for two years without any problems and it seems to be working ok now except for the error message. Help?

MAJ 11:41 08 Apr 2007
  Alf58 12:42 08 Apr 2007

Chers Maj. I downloaded and installed the patch. She wont reboot cos she is doing homework. Hopefully all will be well.!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017