Error Message on Boot-Up

Mad Mick 10:02 26 Aug 2005

Please help. When my Dell laptop boots up I get the following pop-up message and I have to re-boot to get to my desktop. The message is as follows:-

Faulting application SVCHOST.EXE version 5.1.2600.2180,faulting module NTDLL.DLL version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

The machine will reboot by pressing the on/off button for about 10 seconds. This very inconvenient and any help to solve this would be appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 9300 with Windows XP2 1GB ram

VoG II 10:08 26 Aug 2005

Use the System File Checker click here

Mad Mick 10:46 26 Aug 2005

Thanks Vog. I have done as you said and it has booted OK without the error message. Sorry i haven't posted back earlier but the scan took a long time. I will keep this open for the rest of the day and close it if i don't have any further proplems.

Mad Mick 13:26 26 Aug 2005

Sorry Vog. There is an improvement in that I can get to the desk top receiving the message and then re-booting. It is becoming a real pain.

I have sent an error report to Microsoft but I don't know how they reply, if in actual fact they do. Thanks for your help so far.

ACOLYTE 14:09 26 Aug 2005

This sort of thing can be because of a virus have you scanned the system?.

Mad Mick 15:46 26 Aug 2005

Yes. I have used Mc Afee, Spybot, A2 and Ad-Aware SE and all give a clean bill of health.

Mad Mick 18:47 26 Aug 2005

The problem appears to be solved, though I cannot be certain. I will close this thread and raise it again if the problem comes back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?