Error message AC Adaptor Type cannot be determined

compumac 17:39 07 Mar 2011

My sister in law recently had the System Tool virus on her laptop and this was removed by installing Emsisoft Antimalware. I tested the laptop rigorously before it was returned to her in a fully functioning state. I have just had a phone call from her saying that on booting up she receives the message before anything else - "The AC adaptor type cannot be determined, this will prevent optimal system performance, please check AC adaptor connecting properly. Disconnect AC adaptor and reinsert, Thanks"
Also on the accompanying black screen are the F1, F2 etc options for start up and only by pressing the F1 key does it boot up to perform correctly.
This AC adaptor message does not ring true. Anyone with thoughts on this?

961 17:46 07 Mar 2011

Try this

click here

Basically use F3 to avoid message again, but there are a number of suggestions as to what is causing it

compumac 17:49 07 Mar 2011

Thanks for prompt reply, and yes it is a Dell laptop. I do not have the laptop to hand but will check out your link and come back.

woodchip 18:15 07 Mar 2011

as you say windows would not even know you are using an adapter. all it knows is power, if its there it works if not it does not work

compumac 18:52 07 Mar 2011

The link given by 961 seems a little suspicious or am I having a paranoia attack. If I go to the Dell website directly there seems little reference to the error message in recent times. Any comments on that?

compumac 19:13 07 Mar 2011

Sorry about the previous post, I have since googled for this and it does appear that it is genuine Dell(?) associated problem. At the time of my initial posting I did not think that the message was a credible one and is why I posted here before googling.
I apologise.

961 19:32 07 Mar 2011

Never worry, it's fine, we've all done it, including me

Thanks for taking the trouble...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?