Error Message

OICUR2Y's4Me 00:28 27 Jan 2003

My flatmate recently upgraded his motherboard and cpu to an ECS K7S5A m/b and an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ cpu
He formatted his hdd and reinstalled windows 98se (it's the only version he'll use).
Now, on bootup, he continually gets the message:

"An exception OE has occured at 0028:FF0490D2 in VxD---This was called from 0028:C187BD17 in VxD---. It may be possible to continue normally."

However when he hit's any key to continue he gets the sam error message. If he presses a key again it goes to a plain black screen and stays there.

Can anyone enlighten me (in plain english preferably) what the error message is actually saying? What it means? and hopefully what may be causing it??

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give.

Forum Editor 00:43 27 Jan 2003

can be caused by device drivers or applications, like video drivers, which are not properly de-bugged.

Your flatmate may need to download new drivers for his video card, or other devices - it's not possible to tell which ones.

jazzypop 02:48 27 Jan 2003

It may be possible in this case.

Unplug the USB mouse and use a PS/2 mouse - see click here

Lozzy 03:39 27 Jan 2003

This very close to your issue I think,, It may help

Error Message "An Exception 0E Occurred at 0028:FF04B3C3 in VxD"
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

This article was previously published under Q303129
If this article does not describe the error message that you are receiving, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to view more articles that describe error messages:
315854 Windows 98 and Windows Me Error Message Resource Center

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS
When you are restarting or installing Windows 98 Second Edition on a computer that supports Universal Serial Bus (USB), you may receive the following error message:

An exception 0E occurred at 0028:FF04B3C3 in VxD ---.
This was called from 0028:C188A4E7 in VxD ---.
It may be possible to continue normally.
This error may be displayed with a Blue Screen during a reboot.
CAUSE
A registry value was added to control the behavior of the Open HCI driver (Openhci.sys) with regard to a specific PCI-to-USB controller. With some controllers, this can cause page faults during the Windows startup process.

This registry value is:
Key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\USB\0000
Value type: DWORD
Value: HydraFixEnable = 1 (Default)

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue:
Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
Locate the HydraFixEnable value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\USB\0000

On the Edit menu, click Modify, click the Value data box, press the DELETE key, type 0 (the value should now be "00 00 00 00"), and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?