error message

palinka 11:50 20 Jun 2009

My neighbour says that in the last fortnight or so she's had this message every time she switches on (her OS is Vista):
"Error / Severity 3 /error code -2147467259 / user code 0 / viewer topleft/png - image could not be found or failed to load".

Any suggestions, please?

ened 11:53 20 Jun 2009

Does it boot normally besides this message?

palinka 12:03 20 Jun 2009

Yes, and she can use pograms as normal.

palinka 12:04 20 Jun 2009

oops ! "pograms" should be programs!

chub_tor 12:05 20 Jun 2009

Have a look in the Startup Folder to see if there is anything in there trying to load, then Run msconfig, and look in the Startup Tab to see if anything fits that description. Failing those two run a Malware and Anti-virus check.

palinka 13:14 20 Jun 2009

thanks chub_tor; I'll check on those when I have a moment to call round.

ened 13:37 20 Jun 2009

As far as I am aware the only 'image' which should load when you boot is the Desktop background.

Get her to change it and see what happens.

palinka 13:49 20 Jun 2009

thanks ened; I'll give that a go, too.

palinka 20:46 02 Jul 2009

All rather inconclusive - startup all OK; nothing loading that shouldn't be; and no malware of any kind.
But the error message seems to have stopped appearing since she switched off AND briefly disconnected her phone line. Apparently the phone has been prone to minor hiccups for years, in spite of investigation by BT.
I can't see why it should generate an error message, but as all seems well now I'll tick Resolved. Even if it reappears it seems not to cause any problems except annoyance.
Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires