Error Message

AubreyS 17:10 14 Dec 2003

If I leave my PC unattended for a while, sometimes I get the error message, synchost has caused an error. Can anyone tell me what this is please? I did a search for synchost.exe and found it in C: Windows. I'm running XP Pro. Thanks.
A.

Diodorus Siculus 17:14 14 Dec 2003

This trojan allows a hacker to remotely take control of the infected computer. It copies itself as 'SYNCHOST.EXE' into the C:\%Windir% directory and hooks the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

With the value: "Remote Access Slave" C:\%windir%\Synchost.exe

By modifying the registry in this way it allows itself to execute after every time the computer is re-started.

The trojan also opens port 4999 to allow the hacker access to the infected computer.

Seems you need to do a trojan / antivirus scan pretty soon.

AubreyS 17:16 14 Dec 2003

Hi Diodorus.

I have NAV and I did a scan and it found nothing. What do you suggest I do to remove this?

Diodorus Siculus 17:21 14 Dec 2003

AubreyS - have a look at the site I mentioned above click here and go down to Removal Instructions.

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 14 Dec 2003

click here for a better suggestion via Norton Site.

woodchip 17:23 14 Dec 2003
  AubreyS 17:25 14 Dec 2003

Thanks both of you. I just going to try and remove it. I'll let you know the result.

A.

AubreyS 18:41 14 Dec 2003

I've tried to do what Norton has suggested, but the trojan appears to still be there. Is there something that I can simply download that will remove it?

VoG II 18:43 14 Dec 2003
  AubreyS 18:50 14 Dec 2003

Hello VoG.

I downloaded and ran Trojan Remover. It did the scan and it found nothing. I did a search and synchost.exe is still on my PC. I'm a bit baffled. Is it a trojan or not?

©®@$? 18:52 14 Dec 2003

have you deleted

Remote Access Slave C:\%windir%\Synchost.exe

from the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017