Error loading operating system

amjad11097 20:43 01 Jul 2008

Hi there, I've tried to start my computer "which is xp home" and all i get is a black screen saying error loading operating system. I've tried the recovery console and tried fixboot and fixmbr then it loads up fine then when i restart, it says error loading operating system.
any help would be appreciated.

MAT ALAN 21:29 01 Jul 2008

If all the software options have failed i suspect Hardware, your HDD could be dying....

click here

you can download a diagnostic tool from the link pending on the make of your HDD...

ronalddonald 07:48 02 Jul 2008

inserting your xp disc and do anew fresh install. It could be a conflict between software and hardware.

I had a similar problem when i installed the drivers last instead of after the xp install. If you can back up any data 1st.

amjad11097 17:59 02 Jul 2008

thanks for the reply guys. I tried the diagnostic tool but all was well. i did install a second dvd rewriter, maybe thats the prob. i'll disconnect the second rw and try that if not i'll try a fresh install of xp.

amjad11097 19:54 02 Jul 2008

I tried to re install xp but no eula could be found. i ran fixboot and fix mbr and it worked but when i take the recovery disk out and change boot options to hard drive the error comes back "error loading operating system"
I can't get it? any more ideas anyone?

rick808 20:26 02 Jul 2008

did you run chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p while in recovery console?

amjad11097 20:45 02 Jul 2008

i've tried the chkdsk options but still nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?