Error Code 80240016

cink2 17:56 21 Jul 2008

Hi anyone come across this error code and more importantly how to resolve as i am unable to download updates for windows since May. Microsoft doesnt offer any solutions, googled it and people with similar problems but no solutions.

Running Vista home prem.

Simple answer would be appreciated!!

aine 19:53 21 Jul 2008

I dont know what it means but I googled it. A suggested solution was type in SFC/scannow and updates should work

cink2 12:06 22 Jul 2008

Thanks i have tried that once but didnt work, however will give it another go

johndrew 14:17 22 Jul 2008

Not quite sure what didn`t work `SFC /scannow` or the repair itself.

Remember when you type `SFC /scannow` there is a space as I have typed it not as shown by aine.

johndrew 14:23 22 Jul 2008

You may also find click here this of use.

cink2 17:32 22 Jul 2008

Hi Thanks johndrew just tried this again when i typed in and hit ok the box flashed up and disappeared in a split second so i cannot continue with repair or whatever option tried this several times............any suggestions

would going to system restore to earlier date help?

birdface 18:42 22 Jul 2008

If you have Windows Defender try switching it off and then try running your updates.Have you tried turning automatic updates off.and trying to install them manually.If it shows any updates ,update them one at a time.

johndrew 09:43 23 Jul 2008

`would going to system restore to earlier date help?`

If you know of a time it was `good` you could go back to it. If it fails to work you can always undo the Restore.

DippyGirl 14:35 23 Jul 2008

Have you posted it to click here

cink2 16:36 29 Sep 2008

Hi again if anyone revisits this problem has resolved itself strangely once i installed spyware doctor to remove some trojans then suddenly i could download all updates from end of april........!!! bizarre

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?