Error Code 80072ee7

Charlie 3746 20:36 30 Apr 2009

Hi

My computer sometimes fails to connect to the internet and error code 80072ee7 comes up. When I run the troubleshoot facility it states - Host File contains Windows Live Messenger related entries which may interfere with name resolution - DNS unable to resolve IP addresses - Improper proxy or firewall settings.
This is a long running problem that first occurred after a Netgear Wireless Modem was installed to allow my wife to access her work computer from home. I would be most grateful for any advice. Thanks

birdface 22:17 30 Apr 2009

This does not look like the same problem unless you don't get Microsoft updates as well.

click here

brundle 23:59 30 Apr 2009

"My computer sometimes fails to connect to the internet and error code 80072ee7 comes up" - do the two events happen independently of each other?

Charlie 3746 08:55 01 May 2009

Thanks for the replies

When it fails to connect it is always the same error code ie. 80072ee7. I noticed that the last couple of days it has happened at about the same time of day (about 6.30pm). Last night I got a connection (I think it was my doing!) by going to - Tools - Options - Connections -Advanced and clicking on the Test Buttons (I don't know what the username and password is on a couple of the tests). Are these my Talk Talk broadband username and password?
Thanks again for replying

lotvic 17:34 02 May 2009

Things to check from tomshardware.co.uk click here about 3rd post down.

brundle 17:38 02 May 2009

Im just trying to clarify...given that you can't access Messenger without an internet connection, does "My computer sometimes fails to connect to the internet" mean that you can't access the net at all and you see this message, or when you can access the internet for browsing and emailing etc, you still see the error from Messenger?

Charlie 3746 18:32 02 May 2009

Hi
The computer won't connect to the Internet at all. It sort of corrects itself eventually - but it's so annoying. The bit in the earlier thread about me sorting it out by using the test buttons was wishful thinking I'm afraid - I've tried to do the same thing again and it didn't work.
Thanks for the reply

brundle 19:54 02 May 2009

OK, so the MSN Messenger message can be ignored for the time being, it's just another way of telling you you're not connected to the internet.

How is your computer connected to the wireless router? Do any of the lights on the router turn from green to amber or go off when you have the problem?

Charlie 3746 10:43 05 May 2009

Hi
My computer wouldn't connect at all over the last few days so I've been unable to reply. To cut a long story short - I was led to believe this was a pc problem by articles found on the Internet regarding the error code. This morning I rang the helpline at Talk Talk (our broadband provider) and they sorted it out in a few minutes. The problem was caused by our close proximity to the local exchange - the chap at the helpline changed our broadband frequency and now everything is now back to normal. I hope this may be of some help to others experiencing similar problems.
Moral of the story - don't believe everything you read on the Net. Thanks for the replies, they were much appreciated.

User-1229748 00:21 06 May 2009

thanks for giving the feedback as you say it could help others :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone