Error code 80070673

Hetti 11:57 03 May 2010

Hi all

Im informed I need to one important update but it fails every time and I get the Error code 80070673

I relise this may be something that cannot be resolved here (being win update)but just thought Id ask if there is any other way around this as I cannot follow the instruction given to my query on Microsoft answers site.
Below is the answer give to me from Microsoft Answers site........

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and whether service packs have been applied
click here

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article: click here

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer Cleanup utility), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page: click here. Please read ALL of it as well as the related page click here before using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

If I cannot get this sorted what will happen to my laptop, as it is an important update.

Any Ideas please

Sea Urchin 15:54 03 May 2010

Looks fairly daunting, but what they are saying is

1. Note down which versions of .NET Framework you have installed

2. Use the .NET Framework CleanUp tool to remove them

3. Reinstall (from their links) the same versions of .NET Framework you had previously

4. Then do some updating, and hopefully your problem will have been resolved

So start with No 1 - if using XP go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - and scroll down to Microsoft .NET Framework xx - and write down the individual headings. You don't need the sub-headings which are the updates. For example I have

.NET Framework 1.1
. 2.0 Service Pack 2
. 3.0 Service Pack 2
. 3.5 SP1

When you've done that let us know - if using Vista then you will find the details in Programs & Features.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 03 May 2010

"I cannot follow the instruction given to my query on Microsoft answers site."

Why what goes wrong?

1. switch off Auto update
2. Download and run the net framework cleanup tool
remove all versions of net framework.
3. reboot
4. manually (update) reinstall your .NET Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

5. Switch on Autoupdates
6. goto windows update site and let it install all security updates you may be missing.

Hetti 18:27 03 May 2010

Hi again

After running the Clean up tool I got as far installing Net Framework 3.5 I ticked the agreement and it started setup, but then I got "encounted an error" it gave me a link to troubleshoot, but to be honest I could not understand any of it, I should have copied it to post back here but I sort of panicked and rightly or wrongley went quickly to restore system.
I have a free half hour session with Vigin media (for PC problems)do you think it would be worth getting in touch with them, although I dont have a lot of confidence in them,as I have tried them before and the chap I spoke to was not very fluent in english and I had problems understanding him and he could not understand me.
only other thing will be take it to local PC shop to have it fixed as I really dont feel competent to do it myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017